People who turn in women seeking abortions are eligible for a $10,000 reward in Texas

Originally published at: People who turn in women seeking abortions are eligible for a $10,000 reward in Texas | Boing Boing

9 Likes

60 Likes

This is fucked on so many levels that I tend to lose sight of the fact that it’s fucked on a purely legal level, too. The state has passed a law which it is not enforcing, instead paying bounties to private individuals to do so, despite the fact that they don’t have legal standing to take this to court. The state knows this will be taken to court and is counting on the Supreme Court justices being sufficiently motivated by ideology that they’ll ignore how completely and obviously unconstitutional this is. And the super-fucked bit is that it just might work.

52 Likes

Pro life, pro life, except for a deadly pandemic.

14 Likes

Well, as a trans woman, this anti-trans AND anti-woman kick large parts of the US seem to be on means I’ll be avoiding travel there at all costs until sanity returns.

How do these people rationalize themselves as being in the right? This is some comic-book villian level evil shit.

They believe the right to life begins at conception and ends at birth.

48 Likes

Are these the same people who were worried we’d get Sharia Law if we let in refugees? Hmmmm…

43 Likes

I can see this most used by abusive partners that get their SO pregnant who later get an abortion, perhaps victims of sexual abuse/rape who their assailants know might fall into this trap too.

32 Likes

I’ve lived in Texas. Don’t hold your breath.

28 Likes

angry star trek GIF

Bullshit. They don’t give a fuck about the lives of actual people. They merely want to control people they deem as unfit for citizenship.

43 Likes

Episode 2 Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

15 Likes

Draconian misogynist shit like this would make me give up sex completely until I could afford to move to another state - sadly, I know that’s not a viable option for many women and certainly not for any women who are unfortunate enough to be trapped in an abusive relationship.

34 Likes

They are literally putting a bounty on the health and lives of the women of Texas.

No words… just rage, and grief.

34 Likes

What if the woman flees to another state and gets an abortion there? Does that make her (and anyone who assisted her) a wanted criminal in TX?

20 Likes

That’s what it sounds like.

26 Likes

waiting for the usual “… but Austin…”

No? Crickets?

An island of blue surrounded by the deepest red possible is nothing more than a reservation.

18 Likes

Opinion | Why women reject MAGA men — and why the men can’t handle it

Gee, I effin’ wonder why?

19 Likes

And then there are the decoy “Crisis Pregnancy Centers”, which will certainly report anyone close to six weeks.

(Same shits who fund PragerU and Ben Shapiro.)

30 Likes

Republicans are really no different from the radical islamic terrorists they love to fear monger about.

They just have a different prophet and use a cross instead of a sliver moon.

But in practice their goals are no different.

36 Likes

Wow, they really hate women in Texas. But we already knew that, and that $10k can buy a lot of Jesus & Murica down is Texass.

16 Likes

By already starting with the premise that they are good and right, and therefore anything they do is good and right. They don’t believe that actions are moral or immoral, but rather that people are. And since they’re good and moral by nature, anything they want or do or like is moral and good and anything and anyone they dislike are immoral and bad and evil.

So if they persecute someone, it’s because that person is bad. And if they lie or cheat, it’s because they’re doing what’s necessary for good to win. And if they’re hypocrites, it doesn’t matter because they are inherently good in their minds.

That’s it. They’re unassailable with any facts or logic or emotional appeals because if they didn’t already think of something, it must be bad.

33 Likes