People who turn in women seeking abortions are eligible for a $10,000 reward in Texas

The actually, literally believe a fertilized egg is absolutely no different than a 3 year old toddler. To them, aborting an ectopic pregnancy that would kill the mother is LITERALLY (literally) no different than sawing up a happy, healthy, innocent baby and running it down the disposal. And that’s the imagery the republicans and churches have been lying about and spreading ever since the 1960s.

These are the same people who murder ob/gyns and firebomb planned parenthoods. They think they’re right because they’ve been actually brainwashed by the christo-political complex. Propagandized with success beyond pat robertson’s wildest dreams.

30 Likes

I live in Austin. I am consistently appalled by how terrible the laws are for women here. My partner and I already decided that if she ever needed any real support for Women’s health issues, we’d do so out-of-state. But many folks don’t have that option.

I won’t be able to do anything about this situation for at least another 6-8 years when I can vote, but you better believe I plastered this story all over my coworkers and virtual office discussions when I heard about this. Of course, they all live in Austin too, so their vote can’t really help to fix this mess :frowning:

36 Likes

The very same assholes who don’t want their tax dollars spent for anything that is even remotely helpful to others…

14 Likes

Me too. I’ve lived in Texas my entire life.

My wife keeps mentioning moving, and I am increasingly unable to come up with a reason to stay other than “our families are here.”

I’m hoping that the 2022 elections will improve things, but I’m not holding my breath.

21 Likes

41 Likes

Don’t fool yourself; Austin isn’t that progressive. “The People’s Republic of Austin” is just a low-brow snipe right-wing identitarians from other parts of Texas like to toss around in the idiotic belief that it’s clever.

11 Likes

Jeez, these might turn into professional catfish operations! Might be very profitable too. :angry:

7 Likes

Another of their perverse goals.

7 Likes

It wasn’t until research showed that abortion was a strong wedge issue that the Christian Right started pushing the issue.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/05/religious-right-real-origins-107133/

11 Likes

Abandon Texas. Women who live in Texas who can move out of the state, should do so. Help others to abandon Texas. Texas is not safe for women.

Texas, twinned with Afghanistan. Ironic, really.

4 Likes

For a group who hates communism so much, they certainly love to emulate the terrible things the communists have done in the past:

4 Likes

Oh, those folks have no trouble with monotheistic fundamentalist theocracy on principle. They only have a problem if the monotheistic fundamentalist theocracy isn’t their own.

5 Likes

Pro life of male white babies.

If they are born girls, they only matter as long as they can’t get pregnant. Then they are worth less than the baby.

If they are born black, they become adults as soon as a cop decides they are holding a weapon.

The worst part is that about 70% of undesired pregnancy occurs in abused children/teenagers (by a stepfather, biological father or other kin or friends of the family) so these so called “pro lifers” are pro making life hell for people born with uteruses.

15 Likes

Disagree. I think the state is counting on it being overturned, so they can go back to their constituents and say “See, we keep trying, but there are still too many liberals out there. If you keep voting for us, we’ll keep trying.”

14 Likes

it would be interesting to counsel a verifiably non pregnant woman, preferably someone incapable of being pregnant and attempt to collect the reward.

2 Likes

Abortion rights advocates and providers filed a federal lawsuit in Texas on Tuesday seeking to block a new state law empowering individuals to sue anyone assisting a woman with getting an abortion, including those who provide financial help or drive a pregnant patient to a clinic.

So if a pregnant woman takes public transportation on the way to get to a clinic, who’s liable to be sued for assisting that woman? Is it the operator of the bus / train / etc.? Is it one of the managers of that agency? If it’s a state government operated transportation system, is it Hey Abbott himself (since he claims he’s ultimately “in charge”)?

If the pregnant woman takes an Amtrak train as part of her trip to the clinic, since the Department of Transportation owns all its outstanding stock, would the person suing have to sue the federal government under a state law?

Could one sue the Texas Department of Transportation if they build a road or a bridge that enables the pregnant woman to reach the clinic? Let’s say that a flood wipes away the only bridge across a river for miles and that river separated the pregnant woman and the clinic. Could one argue that repairing that bridge counts as assisting her?

What other scenarios are there that could enable suing the government of Texas itself or Hey Abbott personally for violating this law?

11 Likes

I would like to see a sting operation performed on these centers, especially if it were done under the direction and deep pockets of the Institute for Justice and Sacha Baron Cohen in a joint operation.

Bonus points if the “pregnant subject” is eligible for Medicare due to a disability, and asks “Are your services covered under Medicare?” (If they answer yes, then this will likely put them into the cross-hairs of the federal government for Medicare fraud.)

I also like the idea posted by @jdaniel30 where the subject is a non-pregnant (either from the onset or has completed Plan B last month) visitor or one who is incapable of pregnancy.

5 Likes

Oh no, they want women to have sex; they just want to be the sole arbiters of with who, when and what happens afterward.

16 Likes

Absolutely essential distillation of the truth. It’s another step to dehumanization.

14 Likes

The problem with that is the woman in question would end up in serious legal jeopardy. She was reported to the Fetal Protection Committee as being pregnant. But she is clearly not pregnant now. Therefor, according to the state, she murdered her fetus and should be in prison for the rest of her life. And so should any family members or friends who are not willing not testify against her.

1 Like