Auction: Apollo 11 lunar landing manual that flew to the moon and back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/08/auction-apollo-11-lunar-landi.html

Private collections are not always a bad thing, for example a lot of movie props and memorabilia weren’t considered important enough to keep so it was up to private individuals to do a lot of the work there.

That said in this particular case i do think that the manual is important enough that it should be in a museum. It’s not just that it was in space but because of its particular historic significance.

8 Likes

Will they accept a third party, post dated, out of state check?

6 Likes

Imagine how much Aldrin could have made if he sold his original copy of the script they used to fake the landing on that soundstage.

6 Likes

Obligs:

2 Likes

Well a museum could buy it. Or have the buyer donate for display. That is how the majority of items end up in museums.

properly voiced and emoted:

11 Likes
2 Likes

Except in this case, “Peter Frampton” is the United States of America (cue swelling patriotic music), which is decidedly not dead.
…maybe I should reconsider that last statement. (cue deep existential dread for liberal democracy)

Also, your clip is deeply unrealistic. Such a guitar would easily start at 10 times that price! It’s almost as though it’s a light-hearted parody or some such.

:smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I’ll bid on it. But the proceeds must go to SPACE FORCE.

1 Like

In the back pages are:

Above all else, DO NOT MENTION THE MOON MONSTERS in public

1 Like

Edited for topicality.

4 Likes

If you don’t have $9m at hand you can download a copy of the manual here: http://web.mit.edu/digitalapollo/Documents/Chapter8/lemhandbook.pdf

Also, I really don’t get the nutty prices paid for simple memorabilia. Any other copy of the manual contains exactly the same information as the one “that has been in space”. Believe it or not, the power of the original owner is not going to be transferred to you if you own a historical item. You’d have to eat his brains for that. /s

7 Likes

Careful, Aldrin has punched people for making statements like that.

5 Likes

This seems of little practical use.

The article states that contemporaneous notes were taken in said notebook, which would presumably not be located in “any other copy of the manual.”

2 Likes

Pretty sure Buzz was thinking “Must… control…fist…of…death!”

3 Likes

The Mighty BA does not suffer fools lightly!

1 Like

Thank you, ax11. The manual is incredibly cool.

2 Likes