Florida man bought wooden plaque at garage sale to use for gun repair, turned out to contain Louisiana's long lost moon rock

Originally published at: Florida man bought wooden plaque at garage sale to use for gun repair, turned out to contain Louisiana's long lost moon rock | Boing Boing

7 Likes

An amazingly American story

34 Likes

Got guns and everything in that story.

32 Likes

Good for him! Many people would have tried to sell it, but he did the right thing.

14 Likes

It really is, as true an image of the decline of empire as the marble being stripped from the grand buildings of the Forum Romanum to be used for more mundane purposes.

22 Likes

Makes me wonder if he truly is a FLORIDA MAN.

9 Likes

I have no idea how you buy something like that only realize a decade later the significance of a plaque like that. Most of them are nondescript and not adorned with a giant “marble”.

12 Likes

Boy, Louisiana seems to have had a loose definition of ‘official’ state flag. I Googled for images and found at least a dozen flags that all seem to be one-offs, including the one they sent to the moon. It’s like each time somebody needs a flag, they draw it by hand, from memory - which makes for some ugly damn birds.

17 Likes

Great image, although I’m sure the rest of these plaques are “George B. Ivey, 40 Years with Dothan, Alabama Rotary (1953-1993)” and whatnot

6 Likes

Ngapa Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

16 Likes

It was the 70s. It was a space age plastic. They seemed to do that to a lot of things. But also, if just left out, I bet it would be easier to swap out or lose.

“OH shit, I dropped it in the decorative rock out side the capital! Is it this one? This? Oh, god, I am so screwed.”

– Picks up a chunk of lava rock. –

“Oh thank god, saved! I got it right here!”

12 Likes

Considering that it was lost anyway, I’d say that the acrylic was superfluous. :wink:

5 Likes

Sounds like a stand-up guy, I suppose, but I cannot imagine seeing something like that and having such an astounding lack of curiosity that I wouldn’t read it immediately, even if I did plan to scrap it. Did he only see the back of it for 15 years, or what? I can’t imagine the person who sold it at a garage sale ever bothered to actually look at it either.

10 Likes

senator-vreenak

5 Likes

Did they not even put him up and give him a nice dinner?

5 Likes

Louisiana’s misplaced moon rock from the Apollo 17 mission of 1972 turned up in a most unusual place: a Florida man…

…plucked it out of an alligator’s mouth after capturing the critter with a garbage can

5 Likes

Holy Mooncheese! That’s an amazing collectable. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

How do you buy this and not know what it is? It’s labeled.

4 Likes

It was hand drawn by a union justice confidence man.

2 Likes