Audible puts the screws to indie authors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/03/use-em-and-lose-em.html

2 Likes

Maybe they should show they really care by offering the authors whose royalties they have good reason to know are particularly grim, since they set them, preferred status in hiring at their nearest fulfillment center?

5 Likes

I wish authors would add donate or similar buttons to their websites, a lot of us would happily support authors directly as those authors give us so much enjoyment. It’s hard to buy these services or products when the people responsible for the content get so little when we pay so much.

6 Likes

Who’s less-bad when it comes to terms, Audible, or Apple Books (and its audiobook features)?

All my audiobooks are with Audible. I have textual ebooks through both Apple Books and Kindle.

2 Likes

Audibullsh*t.

2 Likes

Remind me again how Google is less evil than Amazon. And where on the scale Apple sits?

You’re better off finding a way for your customers to be your customers. It may be harder at the start, but you’re not going to get suddenly screwed by some random decision by some random committee.

2 Likes

Remember this:
Amazon is not a charitable organization.
Facebook is not a charitable organization.
Google is not a charitable organization.
Apple is not a charitable organization.
Your favorite political party is not a charitable organization.
Keep your hand on your pocketbook at all times and keep your back to the wall.

7 Likes

I know some authors have Patreon accounts. Kameron Hurley has said on her blog that she makes more from Patreon than from book sales and royalties.

4 Likes

Audible is the exclusive supplier of audiobooks to Itunes and other Apple products.

2 Likes

Seriously, your idea of putting the screws to authors includes Amazon no longer paying sizable bonuses?

If I may ask, what is the color of the sky in your world?

1 Like

I’m reminded of the (possibly apocryphal) story of HP employees going batshit crazy because the incoming CEO eliminated the tradition of free donuts at staff meetings.

3 Likes

Except indie authors can’t upload our audiobooks to Google Play at all. So… I’ll still take 40% of something instead of 70% of DRM-free nothing.

But donuts WANT to be free!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.