Australia’s top medical research organization finds homeopathy worthless

I wonder how many of the fervent “Yea! Scientific method!” folks here are going to bother trying to reproduce their findings.

This is about the 10000th successful reproduction study showing that homeopathy is equivalent to it’s basic constituents, ie water and sugar pills.

There’s been so many studies and reviews showing with very high levels of certainty and very large n, and good methodology, that homeopathy is garbage that it’s a waste of time to even think about doing one more study.

The only reason to do any further meta reviews is just to keep it in the press. Homeopathy is more certainly false than even the big bang and evolution are certainly true.

3 Likes

Do it yourself. It’s a literature review, so download the papers and have at it.
https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines-publications/cam02

4 Likes

I’m not so sure about that. I think the best reason to do it - or anything else - is to know it first hand for yourself. Isn’t “popular science” something of a contradiction in terms? If people did the work themselves instead of believing others I think we’d have a much more scientifically literate populous. After all, it’s not like there is anything better to do!

Werd!

Perhaps something to help put food on the table?

2 Likes

Fun fact, in Europe homoeopathic medicines need an authorisation to be on the market, but unlike actual medicines they don’t need clinical studies.
That mean it need to prove it’s innocuousness but not it’s effectiveness.

1 Like

But it still looks like the corn and peanuts made it through fine. If this is true to the extent you say it is, then probiotics are bunk according to your assessment. Only providing the building blocks and not cultivating a healthy digestive biome.

1 Like

Corn and peanuts make it through due to the indigestible cellulose they contain, and probiotic bacteria have adaptations for living in the gut. White blood cells just don’t have those kinds of adaptations, and their cell walls aren’t made out of the tough cellulose and/or lignin matrix that highly fibrous foods have.

There is also evidence that the organisms in many probiotic products actually never make it past the stomach anyway.

4 Likes

Don’t forget they just finished a lit review on the health effects of wind turbines too…

[citation please]

Well, dehydrated water is basically a LOX/Hydrogen rocket, it’s just fine-tuning the faucet that needs doing…

2 Likes

Studies I’ve read suggest that probiotics seem to have some sort of beneficial effect (well, particularly probiotics studied, obviously a “probiotic” could be nearly anything). There was no evidence that the probiotics actually changed the gut flora of the mice or humans tested on, but urine analysis showed different enzyme levels. Other studies that study the effect of eating probiotics show results for improving a variety of gut-related issues (IBS, urinary tract infections, etc). So even though the organisms don’t seem to be making it through and repopulating your gut, they are doing something. Of course, that just makes me wonder if they don’t simply fall into the category of “healthy food”.

3 Likes

Whoa, that’s really cool.

They better not make it past my stomach, or these yogurt enemas are going to get really messy!

1 Like

A suppressed chapter from À rebours?

2 Likes

I’m not convinced. Especially with food borne bacterial illnesses and the like. The body works at such a resolution that current medical science just isn’t equiped to detect. How they may try?! I’m talking molecular levels. Sub-atomic levels. As well, the editor of Science journal stated, and I am paraphrasing here, “All of what we publish is, without a doubt, more than likely, false.” Especially, given all of the history of science being proven wrong at some point or another. I’m okay with exploring the universe and seeking truth, but be cautious to claim you have found it. For, you will undoubtedly be proven wrong at a later date. Unless of course, you aren’t. In which case, kudos to you. At least, you got one thing right. :wink:

Foodborne illnesses have adaptations that allow them to survive the gut though. Like e. coli with its thick cell walls, and c. deficile creating very durable spores that can withstand alcohol and boiling for brief periods.

These are not magical. They’re mechanistic.

It seems to me that you’re more interested in speculation than seeking the truth. While it’s true that science doesn’t deal in certainties, that doesn’t mean we can’t know anything. Just because our most accurate and reliable theories aren’t perfect descriptions of nature doesn’t mean that they’re worthless. It means that they’re subject to further testing and refinement.

Every single test of homeopathy has shown that it’s bullshit. That alone should be enough to dismiss anyone selling such snake oil out of hand.

But in addition to such failure in clinical testing, all mechanisms and ideas about how homeopathy work, and even its basic mechanics are absolutely implausible. It’s just not worth anyone’s time to study anymore. Or rather it’s not worth a medical research organization’s time and resources to study.

If you want to waste your own time, money and effort trying to prove that magic is real, then I can’t stop you. But it’s pretty pointless. Eventually you have to stop tilting at that same windmill over and over. Eventually, after the millionth try, you might realize that it isn’t actually a giant.

1 Like

Anorexia of the wallet can be fatal if left untreated.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.