Australian MP sets river on fire

They better start teaching the local florae and faunae how to show common sense and act responsibly too.

3 Likes

No. It’s not that he became a politician per se. It’s just that once he entered that sphere he realized that significant compromise was a part of the game. Some of the idealism was knocked out of him, it seemed. He ended up pleasing no-one, really.

4 Likes

It might be naturally occurring if fracking didn’t cause it, though.

2 Likes

I’m concerned about the long-term implications for our attention economy. Induction is a powerful cognitive force in humans. If every time someone Googles a dramatic phenomenon, they find out it’s not quite what it seems, they will learn to distrust dramatic displays that don’t agree with their current worldview, while uncritically accepting those displays that do agree with their worldview, because of confirmation bias. If on the other hand, every time you listen to someone, they turn out to be right on the money, you learn to trust that group or that viewpoint.

Think about it this way: When was the last time you really paid attention to an advertisement you already knew was an advertisement? How much have “ads that aren’t ads” turned you off or made you skeptical of something that “was probably a publicity stunt.” The return on investment for theatrics diminishes over time. These waves break dramatically, but quickly. If hunger is the best salt for food, then the unalloyed truth is the best tectonic for a tsunami.

6 Likes

You’re just glad for an excuse to share that video. I see you! :wink:

3 Likes

It does if you’re from Cleveland.

6 Likes

In some cases, yes, but people have long had trouble getting alarmed by complex issues that will gradually cause problems in the future. I still maintain that in a case like this one, “Fracking will eventually cause all sorts of problems, including danger to our grandchildren” would not rally nearly as many people against fracking as “Holy shit, fracking makes it possible to set fucking rivers on fire!”

14 Likes

8 Likes

13 Likes

It’s good for the environment, too (well, less bad): Methane has about 600 times the warming effect of C02 - and when burned forms 1 CO2 and 2 H2O.

2 Likes

Oh, stop complaining. It stopped Stannis’ army, didn’t it??

4 Likes
4 Likes

I came to the comments to explicitly make that joke :wink:

On the plus side, the rest of my morning is now devoted to 80s Australian pop rock.

1 Like
3 Likes

It’s definitely naturally occuring; it just isn’t naturally in that location. They’re trying to deflect attention by exploiting the subset of people who hate fracking but love all things natural. Marketing speak, in other words.

2 Likes

I mostly agree with your assessment, but the

can be helpful to show an otherwise hidden/arcane (from a layman’s POV) issue. It is bad when the explanation stops there, though I see positive benefits of an eye opener.

2 Likes

So do I have this right? In a locale that is marking the [centenary](file:///Users/mckinndj/Downloads/Methane%20gas%20in%20water%20bores_Final_Report_281014.pdf) of methane being found frequently in water-wells and natural seeps, a politician went to a seep that has been known about for 30 to 40 years (but recently is more active, and that activity directly relates in time to the replenishment of the aquifer) and lit it on fire.
This is supposed to demonstrate that the nonexistent recent activities nearby dormant coal-seam-gas extraction site are the true cause of the seep activity, and not the water-supply changes; and this is somehow related to fracking even though fracking was never used at the site?

It reminds me of Gasland. I don’t think these sort of theatrics really help, they just give ammunition to the other side.

3 Likes

people are dumb. you talk about “environmental hazard,” it’s a leftist power-grab. you set water on fire, they care.

12 Likes

I fully support your resolution to listen to Australian music but must say that I don’t think Midnight Oil can be classified as pop!

1 Like

Citation please.

And btw, he doesn’t say fracking in the video was used “at the site,” if by that you mean the site is the river itself. He says it’s “just a kilometre away.”

2 Likes