Australian PM trades freedom for security, deserves neither

‘My sister simply isn’t as human as I am and I refuse to support her attempts to claim otherwise.’

8 Likes

What if Kiss Army gets lumped in with the Air Supply Chain?

4 Likes

I have the feeling a debate with this maroon about positive vs. negative liberty would be an exercise in futility.

4 Likes

Is in direct opposition to

4 Likes

Shorter Tony Abbott:

Australia kicked out Julia Gillard for this assclown. I can’t even.

1 Like

After an unpopular budget announcement Abbott was polling badly. Then MH17 happened and his breast beating over it gave his polls a bump, he’s been doubling down on anything security related since then.

3 Likes

We’ve essentially elected extreme Right neo-con private-school Christians who yearn for the libertarian utopia as you already enjoy in the US.

This wonderful goal of the Australian government, is to create a place where no taxpayer is burdened with the health care or educational costs of others, and rightfully puts the elite at the top where they belong. There, the white, rabidly Christian men can control the ignorant rabble via the surveillance state (thanks NSA!), the Murdoch media, the corporate kleptocracy we already have (but which is about to assume total control once we sign off on the TPP), and the tranches of ‘security’ legislation which will criminalise journalism, whistleblowers and anyone protesting decisions by corporations and government.

Here in Queensland, we’re leading the way in dismantling democracy - there is no opposition, no upper house, no scrutiny of parliament, and total media coverage by Murdoch backs everything done by our elected representatives against the rest of us.

Just the other night, a minute before the bill was due to be passed, the relevant minister swapped the bill for one which outlawed anyone protesting or contesting any activity by mining, on any grounds, unless they share a fence with the mine in question. Two fences away and your water is gone or polluted? Don’t think about questioning this or it’s jail-time, buddy.

And all the media can do is froth at the mouth over jihadis on the other side of the planet recruiting a few angry young Muslims here and beg the government to protect us by ensuring the media itself can no longer legally hold the government or its agencies to account.

We’re so screwed.

8 Likes

Putting aside the whole ‘we have to live in constant terror, to stop bad guys who want us to live in constant terror’. The next most bullshit thing here is it’s a reaction to a failed plot, foiled by existing security.

3 Likes

This man was put in power by Rupert Murdoch, when the public realised they’d been conned and he’d lied absolutely relentlessly through his election campaign (where one of his key and repeated promises was that he would deliver what he promised and not go back on his word) the public turned against him. His Government had no honeymoon period, something virtually unheard of in this nation and he has consistently been down in the polls since being elected. The only time his polls bounced back was when he distracted attention from his policies that are bent on redistributing wealth upwards, destroying the environment and generally fucking over the general populace for the betterment^ of the established big business community. So what better way to distract the public from a sustained political attack against them? Shouting about a potential attack from some brown people that follow a different god of course! In the course of just a few weeks we’ve gone from hearing very little about terrorism of late to:

• Those ISIS guys are pretty bad. We might help the US out with some "humanitarian airstrikes", but we certainly won't send in any troops.
  • OMG ISIS NEED TO BE BOMBED TO OBLIVION, We'll be sending in troops to fight them, but don't worry folks we won't be going to war
  • We've had an increase in "chatter" from terrorists in Australia, and whilst there are no specific plots we need to raise the Terror Alarm to HIGH.
  • (Then about 2 days later)... Biggest Anti-Terrorism raids the country has ever seen. 300 police raid dozens of houses. The media is handed footage of the events, and journalists are asked to come along! Two people are charged, one released on a good behaviour bond 2 days later and one charged with "planning to commit terrorism", based on a supposed plot to behead someone in public; although there is evidence Tony actually made the beheading part up, and the plans were the more vague "kill someone in public".

Despite the whole thing reaking of bullshit the mainstream media has lapped it up almost unquestioningly (some exceptions), and when our Public Broadcaster^^ dared to have some Muslim’s on Q&A^^^, who then expressed scepticism of the timing of the raids, they were accused of “airing conspiracy theories” and providing unbalanced reporting, despite the fact that other panelists defended the raids seconds later!

^ A short term goal, that will undoubtedly backfire when a growing underclass contributes less to the economy; and our expansion of the coal industry in a time when global coal use is looking to peak and decline in the near future also backfires.
^^ Another victim of Abbott and Murdoch’s angry crusade against the best interests of the Australian population
^^^ A show where panelists are asked a range of questions by the audience

5 Likes

I’m gonna want to see very clear definitions of “unharmed” and “safe”. I consider it psychologically harmful (at the very least) to live in a surveillance state. And my sleep has definitely been invaded and disrupted (proving my bed unsafe) if I’m frequently losing that sleep while wondering if I have (or when I will) become one of that “some” who need restricting.

Poorly defined, that “freedom” could be used to dismantle pretty much any other. Justly defined, it could be used to dismantle almost everything else Abbott is pushing for, certainly the worst of it.

2 Likes

To be fair, the Labor party lost power to the Liberals (making Abbott prime minister) due to gross disunity. Government was theirs to lose and they threw it away. During the earlier Howard Government, Tony Abbott was perceived as the least likely to be a future PM. But after the Rudd-Gilard-Rudd governments, they couldn’t lose and the Liberals had free reign to choose their front man.

1 Like

1 Like

Rudd’s antics were certainly a factor, the man was a crappy leader (pissed off essentially his entire backbench and couldn’t negotiate with anyone inside or outside the party) and then out of spite spent the rest of his time in Parliament attempting to destabilise Gillard’s leadership, despite the obvious outcome, and the fact that her Government was twice as effective as Rudd’s ever was (despite not having a majority in either house, after the election).

However, blaming disunity in Labor whilst the Murdoch press was giving more coverage to Tony Abbott than I’ve ever seen given to any other opposition leader anywhere is a stretch. Murdoch picked a ticket and made it happen. His papers are still running the same crap, but it’s a much harder sell now that everyone has been exposed to Tony’s blatant lies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.