Crackdown on journalism in Australia

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/06/crackdown-on-journalism-in-aus.html

1 Like

It’s only a matter of time before this will happen here in the states…

8 Likes

@Wanderfound comes from the land down under, where TV tubes glow and police plunder. They will surely have to several add sources covering the current discussion.

This clusterfuck made it to the BBC. German news: not so much.

6 Likes

Honestly, I constantly flip between “This is terrible, journalism is a sacred institution” and “It’s not like I’d mind dropping a bunker buster on Fox News…”

7 Likes

First they come for your guns…

2 Likes

Well if you start off with an attitude of “l’etat c’est moi”, then everything that embarrases you personally IS a threat to national security.

3 Likes

First they came for the tucker carlsons, and I did not speak out…

4 Likes

No they didn’t. Tucker Carlson came after the others. There is always room for propaganda ministers under fascism.

8 Likes

Prepare yourselves for the world to become more dangerous. It is happening.

Edit: That doesn’t look like buying a gun. Guns are low on the list of things you absolutely need if you need to flee a place. Backpack, food, water purification, and a community of people that understand how serious this is. Those are more important. Perhaps this deserves its own thread.

Edit2: That said, having a gun is important at some point after you’ve taken care of the necessities.

4 Likes

Actually they have a nasty habit of co-opting the people with the guns and turning them into loyalist militias and death squads.

8 Likes

Yeah there are already militias forming and they will not be there to help us. I encourage people to look up 3 percenters, The Patriot Front (who just began postering in my area), Proud Boys, etc. Then go hug your pet and loved ones and watch something uplifting like Hilda.

2 Likes

Right.

Its telling that Neo-Nazi groups are on the rise while we have a white supremacist in the White House. Which is why those groups chickened out en masse from marching on DC when a total weapons ban was instituted.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was adding to your point, not countering it.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I am undercaffeinated and not as perceptive as I should be today :slight_smile:

(I edited my prior post)

1 Like

The camel’s nose is already in the tent…

4 Likes

Reminds me of the whole claim that if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Just what are the powerful individuals in the Australian government hiding?

2 Likes

No, first they came for Assange.

War crimes. Committed on behalf of our imperial suzerains.

And corruption.

And spying.

3 Likes

Trump decides this is a great idea in 3…2…

1 Like

Sigh these are some fucking dark times.

1 Like