Australians asked not to list their religion as Jedi

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/03/australians-asked-not-to-list.html

4 Likes

Eh, I’m in favour of atheists listing themselves as “atheist.”

Otherwise, it’ll screw up the numbers of the actual Jedi.

35 Likes

16 Likes

What religions ARE allowed?

33 Likes

Roger That!

5 Likes

Man, these atheists don’t have respect for any religious traditions…

8 Likes

Sith it is then!

11 Likes

According to Wikipedia, “The 2006 census recorded 58,053 Jedi [in Australia] In the 2011 census, the numbers listing their faith as Jedi had picked up from the 2006 census to 65,000.”

Faith and religion are not the same thing! In my experience it is mostly Christians who get hung up on the concept of faith. It comes off as silly to people who’s religious traditions don’t even involve believing in anything.

As of a few years ago at least, the Universal Life Church in the US was willing to ordain people as Jedi.

3 Likes

because it is making the country seem more religious than it actually is.

Why the hell do they care? According to the US census something like 50% of all Americans report they were in church last Sunday. That’s probably true on Christmas Eve. aside from that, it is making the country seem more religious than it actually is. So?

1 Like

Of course I’m in favor of the the government not asking questions that are none-of-their-damn-business…

3 Likes

Because religion is politicized and atheists want to diminish its political power. One great argument for doing so is that not all that many people adhere to the religion in the first place.

This is relevant to all kinds of BoingBoing bugbears like the abortion debate, or whether insurance can/should pay for birth control, whether religious groups get to count as charities for tax-exempt status, and more.

Religious groups counterargue using phony baloney statistics, and so atheist activists want to do what they can to get the numbers to swing more their way.

14 Likes

It’s a census. They’re useful. The information “What religion is this person” isn’t going to the government; it’s anonymized and aggregated to figure out how the country is changing.

12 Likes

You misspelled Walmart

3 Likes

I disagree, simply because the First Amendment doesn’t have an exception for statistically popular religions. Apologies if you’re not American, but those are US issues you raise. Here, it doesn’t matter if your church claims 99% of the population or 1%. (At least, on paper.)

2 Likes

It may not be quite as pressing an issue in some countries such as Australia as it is in the US; in other countries, it’s even more pressing, e.g. Uganda or Iran. Dismissing it as just a “US issue” is awfully parochial of you.

And it could happen in Australia too. Religious groups tend to value ideological conformity and are great at motivating their adherents, which means that they tend to exercise political power out of proportion to their numbers.

Edit: The law is not guaranteed protection from tyranny of the majority.

10 Likes

Oh, come on! Like Australia has a census!

6 Likes

a.k.a. “free-thinkers”

1 Like

Is Agnostic Ranter allowed?

5 Likes

Ha! We should start a religion!

2 Likes

I just don’t see whet is is useful FOR, even in aggregate. Like Boundegar said, it shouldn’t matter to the government whether a religion is 1% or 99% of the populace. All should be equally free to practice their religions as long as they don’t interfere with the rights of others.

2 Likes