Australians asked not to list their religion as Jedi

At least a problem that won’t happen in France.

1 Like

[quote=“nimelennar, post:12, topic:82709, full:true”]The information “What religion is this person” isn’t going to the government; it’s anonymized
[/quote]

Not this year, it isn’t :rage:

5 Likes

So if you put “Other: Atheist” does that count as a religion? As opposed to the “No Religion” option which you could quite legitimately choose if you are a theist. Seems like any numbers could be misleading confusing faith with religion anyway. I mean they even give “Humanism” as an example of a religion you could list. So even taking this totally seriously it’s quite reasonable to expect genuine atheists to list what’s counted as a religion according to the census.

—Which is why I think it is easier to not gather information that can be used to discriminate than it is to prevent that information from being used to discriminate.

1 Like

First they come for the Jedi. Then they come for the Pastafarians.

4 Likes

This is the Australian census that is asking for names to be attached to each form and encouraging online submissions (if your browser can handle it). But don’t worry, your personal info could NEVER get ID’d back to you or be compromised…

2 Likes

Say that members of a certain religious demographic were regularly denied employment and largely confined to ghettos. If you have aggregated census data showing this, you could use it to figure out how to craft policy and direct resources to solve the problem. Without that data you might never be able to prove there was a problem in the first place.

1 Like

We all just go round the PM’s place and tell him ourselves:

3 Likes

We were just talking about a Church of the Gleeful Agnostic (or something similarly named with a ‘happy to be clueless and awesome’ spirit over in the Satanism thread (we’re weird here, but you knew that))

We’d have many of our services in animal shelters, and one of our beliefs would be ‘neither dogma nor catma’ (thanks @teknocholer !). And we’d generally have a ‘we have no clue and don’t even try or pretend, because that doesn’t even make sense to worry about… puppies are neat though’ sort of attitude.

And of course we’d gleefully ride the ‘Church’ bit for all the nifty benefits and to steal all the teapot agnostics and groovy atheists from the other Churches and such! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The disturbing thing is that the far right has now pounced on the idea and are encouraging people to list the religion that they were born into so that “Australia does not become a Muslim country”.

the shear level of stupidity is mind-boggling.

4 Likes

I don’t really see that Jedi = atheist

http://google.com/search?q=star+wars+taoism

2 Likes

And equally important: to determine the effectiveness of your attempts to solve the problem. Even if there are so many confounding variables that the links might be tenuous at best.

1 Like

Or the opposite. Neither are valid reasons in my opinion

. [citation needed]
Separation of church and state has been working pretty well for me… and several hundred million other people and their ancestors for the last few centuries. Any issues can be solved by more vigorous application of the basic principle.

Or the US. 18th century enlightenment principles are the best principles! fist bump

I saw that today, so many levels of stupids.

1 Like

Taoism is not theist, although for many it probably overlaps with Chinese folk religion. In much of the world religious traditions =/= belief in god(s).

1 Like

[quote=“the_borderer, post:21, topic:82709”]
Do you think the US government will give us tax exemption?[/quote]That’s also a thing I don’t get about the USA: what is the point of those tax exemptions?

OK, so put down Pastafarian instead. Sheesh.

3 Likes

Why not the Invisible Pink Unicorn? THE goddess for Happy Mutants.

5 Likes

I meant the latter, though the former may also be true in the sense that some religions do not play well with others.

[quote=“simonize, post:32, topic:82709”]b
—Which is why I think it is easier to not gather information that can be used to discriminate than it is to prevent that information from being used to discriminate.
[/quote]

People have been able to engage in religious discrimination for centuries without census results to help them find their targets. That’s just not how religious discrimination works – religious groups don’t use statistical methods to say, “hey, this other group is particularly vulnerable right now OMG LETS GET 'EM!”

As @Brainspore points out, the census lets you account for how many religious groups there are and how many adherents each has, both of which are needed to be known to be able to investigate and/or intervene in any actual incidence of religious discrimination.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.