Australia's Prime Minister is a goddamned idiot

I can scarce think of any other head of state possessed of an idiocy vastly greater.

Oh, the laws of thermodynamics… They are the worst of the whole lot. “Deplorable” is too good for them.
No, don’t get me even started.

4 Likes

Australia’s Prime Sinister is a goddamned politician.

Obtaining power/outcomes by advocating macho, hard-line policies (which are often contradicted by empirical evidence) is standard play.

I used to think it cynical to anticipate such demagoguery but now I think it naive to be surprised by it!

2 Likes

Oh here’s a great exam. LNP convention arguing about whether to break ranks over with Turnbull and do such important things like wothdraw from the Paris Climate Accord (global warming NOT being particularly controversial to the average aussie), ban the hijab… As well as talking ahout how Labour is causing rising electricity prices (which is a country-wide issue related caused by a number of issues including aging coal plants being ahut down, being unable to build new ones as no bank will back it, federal level attempts by LNP and independants to block development of solar and wind power despite australia being excellent at both and it long ago becoming cheaper than most other options, and a historical issue of rising gas prices as international corporations who have purchased access to our reserves use them to complete outstanding orders with other countries whi we then have to buy it BACK from at well above that rate.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, unlike America, we can’t blame our problems on disenfranchisement.

About a third of Australians do support the extreme right bastardry, and there’s enough tribal loyalty amongst the centre-right patsies to give them frequent shots at power.

Everything crappy in American politics echoes in Australia on a five to ten year delay. Expect a high-profile racist demagogue to appear shortly; they’ve seen that it works, so they’ll give it a try.

4 Likes

Multiply his salary with zero. Let’s see what he thinks of mathematics then.

11 Likes

This is only part of a new Australian initiative. We’re also introducing legislation to define the value of pi as 3 and rounding the number of days in the year up to 400 to bring us properly into the metric era. There is also a call for all prime number to be registered. The fact idea there may be prime numbers which cannot be bothered to be written on the application form due to length is ludicrous and the sheer laziness of these applicants is not the fault of this government.

5 Likes

I’d be interested if Malcolm would still use WhatsApp himself if he managed to get his wish of weakened security:

2 Likes

Edward J. Goodwin already set pi as 3.2 in the 19th century. Ignorance is timeless!

2 Likes

“Lisa, in this house we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!”

Just came here to say that

8 Likes

That’s a copy of the Massachusetts Constitution. John Adams got it.

Text:
http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/print_documents/v1ch1s6.html

If only someone made a conveniently-carried version…

1 Like

Ahh, but that’s the US Constitution. That one has South Carolina’s hand in it.

(oh, hey, lookee there at my bad assumption, that IS the MA Constitution, TYVM for that link!)

1 Like

Surprise surprise, there’s an XKCD for this

4 Likes

Constitution of the State of New Hampshire, article 10:

Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Live free or die!

4 Likes

“Well the laws of Australia prevail in Australia, I can assure you of that. The laws of physics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia. I’m not a physicist, but what we are seeking to do is to secure their assistance. They have to face up to their responsibility. They can’t just wash their hands of gravity and say it’s got nothing to do with them.”

Just because he was the CEO of an ISP doesn’t necessary mean he a) isn’t an idiot or b) knows anything about the internet, unfortunately.

4 Likes

If you’re talking crypto corpus and involuntary 340-bit strings, I think you’ve got an llvm smell corpus (llvmlividicum?) or three for that. I’m not always clubby and insular, but when I do it’s not like there are 3800 kernel plumbers and it’s consistent, unfraught and uncontested (or actually mostly gr_sec.)

[Weakened Dual_RC_DRBG is not mathematics]

Ceci n’est pas une homologie, mon exec en frie. (Homologre? Someone drill out some Calgarinite so this declines just so…)

3 Likes

I wonder if it is mathematically possible to merge in the older thread:

2 Likes

If encryption is outlawed, only outlaws will have encryption!

Which is rather awkward, given that I stand way in the gun control camp and way out of the encryption control camp.

I’d feel better about stealing the gun advocate’s talking points (with s/guns/encryption) if I I didn’t feel the arguments that I made against them a few weeks ago also apply here…

psst…he’s got like…0day arguments against gun advocates! 2 weeks old is all the older! It’s like hot young elderflower remedy!

7 Likes