Author Jason Pargin on the 2000-era website that accidentally destroyed the world

I find that they’re a good way to read the room.

I will also use them when replying to show goodwill.

6 Likes

I still rely mainly on the replies for that, but I guess Likes can be a shortcut if one wants to take a quick survey before diving in.

This for sure. I’ll frequently Like comments I don’t entirely agree with if they’re challenging things in an interesting and thought-provoking way and pushing the Discourse forward.

5 Likes

Makes sense to discuss this over at the other topic, does it?

2 Likes

It could but it’s equally at home here in a discussion of how Discourse’s design decisions fit into Web 2.0’s meta-architecture. My supposition would be that Likes in Discourse serve a very different purpose from their counterparts on other platforms.

2 Likes

This point is a good one. There’s a older style forum I still visit these days where there’s a rate system in place for the thread itself, but not for individual replies in the thread. After having used Discourse for awhile I find myself wishing that forum had likes on replies so I could show my appreciation even if I don’t have anything else to contribute.

3 Likes

Who liked what is usually a good indicator.

3 Likes

The HOTORNOT was a druid demon who spread his seed in all the seas of the world, condemning the inhabitants of the planet to ingest his let and become his unwilling slaves.

I guess it worked.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.