Author of cautionary tale about Torment Nexus creates tech company to build Torment Nexus

I find this article to be a perfect encapsulation of the bizarre mismash of vaguely connected concepts that Web3 promises to realize and the set of problems it claims it will solve. I found it very jarring for the article to jump from VR to blockchain to copyright without any connecting explanation as if any of the three had anything to do with each other, but I suppose that’s just because I’m not immersed in the whitepapers of cypto-entrepreneurs.

It wasn’t until the end of the article that they finally pulled it all together with the Neal quote essentially saying “artists aren’t getting paid for art they tweet, but Twitter is” So at the end of the day, Neal thinks that a VR alternate universe is one and the same with the concept of “art marketplace” and somehow “naturally” requires a decentralized banking system (something something blockchain?) whcih will somehow magically solve all of the problems that copyright hasn’t been able to equitably do?

I guess it all makes sense in their heads…but as the post title suggests, why do these harbingers of technological automation suddenly think that an “automated” system will be more trustworthy (and less subject to human foibles)?

5 Likes