Keanu no longer laughing at NFTs

Originally published at: Keanu no longer laughing at NFTs | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I miss those days.

12 Likes

23 Likes

Weird time to flip with the crypto crash making it all even more obviously laughable

10 Likes

In December, the actor was sent into peels of laughter after my colleague Alex Heath

^ “Peals of laughter.” Also correct “peals of thunder.”

7 Likes

This seems to be the same hoodwink that got Neal Stephenson to make a weird turnabout as well. The hard sell that somehow NFTs are intrinsic to building an free and fair virtual space and an effective marketplace for getting digital artists paid for their work. The presentations must be pretty good to take these three disparate (and quite often opposed) ideas and make them seem of a piece…

7 Likes

“It seems you’ve been living two lives, Mr. Reeves. In one life, you are a respected, even revered actor in popular film. The other life is lived in computers, where you try to persuade ignorant and gullible people to buy worthless digital certificates granting rights of ownership to … essentially nothing. One of these lives has a future. The other does not.”

19 Likes

“peels of laughter”

5 Likes

Meanwhile the furries are over there building community and even conventions and art marketplaces over in VR. The most recent VR furry convention Furality had 15K+ attendees and pulled 173tb of data in 3 days and raised $22k for it’s charity. The dealers room had hundreds of people producing art and avatars and reskins all without fucking blockchain.

Also the worlds were beautiful and professional as heck.

Actual photo of the lobby:

General trailer for the convention:

14 Likes

Finally, something VR that makes me consider buying a headset!

2 Likes

Grifter enablers keep promoting web3 as Web 3.0, as if it was a thing.

4 Likes

Hell yeah. It is so awesome to see a counter-example of how the good parts of online organizing and marketplaces can and do actually work. No surprise that furries are driving this innovation.

7 Likes

" If your business has any intellectual property (logo, website, media) or any digital assets then understanding the value of on-chain authentification of digital assets is imperative."

Ugh, Grifters all the way down. It solves nothing that wasn’t already solved. I can go and publish an NFT of mickey mouse but that doesn’t prove anything. We are back to the original ways you protect content and trademarks. There is nothing authoritative about NFT’s.

10 Likes
2 Likes

I guess everyone has his price.

4 Likes

Neo … wake up Neo … the multiverse has you.

2 Likes

This makes me feel sad.

6 Likes

Et tu, Keanu?

2 Likes

Of course, a pro buys into the dip

… but really, um, Reeves is not Neo, or Johnny Mnemonic either—he’s no authority on any of this stuff, and whatever he’s doing is because somebody offered him large amounts of fiat currency to do it

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.