Autodesk makes huge trove of docs, training materials and 3D asset files available under Creative Commons

[Permalink]

You just say Creative Commons, but CC has many very different licences. This one seems to be noncommercial. Does that mean, that when I learn stuff using these materials I cannot use what I learned commercially? (probably not, but still)

@doctorow youā€™ve got some character encoding errors in this post.

That would be tough to enforce. Iā€™m sure that there are non-commercial restrictions on assets and such though.

I have to admit this is pretty surprising given their near monopoly of 3D and FX software. Autodesk really doesnā€™t need to do this, so good on them for seeing beyond the short term bottom line.

1 Like

Itā€™s funny in light of Autodeskā€™s rivalry with ā€œYour Own 3D Softwareā€, Blender, which since 2006 pioneered high-profile ā€˜Open Movieā€™ work. Blenderā€™s movies are made with f/loss tools, released as open content including all data assets licensed under CC-BY. A few years ago at SIGGRAPH, Autodesk had its booth under a giant banner that read ā€œDonā€™t Blend Inā€. Itā€™s SIGGRAPH time of the year again, and the Blender groups are packed, but thereā€™s no Autodesk booth anymore.

1 Like

3dsmax might be great and all but Cinema4D is where itā€™s at. #justsayin

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.