Ava DuVernay is directing an HBO adaptation based on Brian Wood's DMZ

the phrase you’re looking for is “dude! you’re harshing my mellow.”

4 Likes

There are lots of interesting things that aren’t adapted into other interesting things.

The first good Spider-Man movie came out about forty years after he debuted in comics.

3 Likes

I assume the opposite, I’m probably going to enjoy it quite a bit. It’s just disappointing

Why do you find it disappointing? Maybe a direct translation would suck terribly… they tried to do that with Watchmen and that really did suck (thanks Zach Snyder). Maybe the show that’s coming out soon will better translate Alan Moore’s vision and meaning?

That’s the thing about going from one medium to another, rarely does reproducing one to the other make compelling stories, because each medium demands different things and gives you different means of telling stories.

[ETA] Also, this version does not mean someone can’t do another version that is more directly based on the original comic, either.

2 Likes

Were you disappointed with The Shining?

1 Like

That’s what I meant with the Spider-Man comparison, DMZ isn’t popular enough for that. I will most likely very much enjoy this series but I would have preferred if it was billed as an original idea instead of an adaptation.

i was disappointed by it for the waste of character both jack and dick halloran. jack, because he was already a freaking lunatic from the very beginning and so the tragedy of his fall from a very hard won grace was completely lost and dick because kubrick brought him all the way across the country to die immediately instead of providing aid and succor and a further layer of suspense.

2 Likes

But all sorts of comic properties are being mined for films or adaptations. The choice of fidelity to the source material generally comes down to the choices of the producers/director/studio/etc, and has little to do with how obscure a comic is. At this point, plenty of more obscure stuff is being mined for adaptations, not just the silver age superheroes.

1 Like

The movie had a very different purpose from the book, and was meant to be disturbing and scary in a different way. Kubrick’s “The Shining” is a bad adaptation but a great film.

5 Likes

…and there goes the suspension of disbelief.

In a civil conflict in the modern USA, the white nationalists and the feds are going to be on the same side.

2 Likes

It’s the new english, all parts of speech are optional.

1 Like

Sounds to me like they may be shifting the focus to a secondary character named Zee Hernandez. From Wikipedia: “Prior to the War, Zee was a medical student working at the local hospitals in downtown Manhattan. In the days leading up the U.S. Army’s confrontation with the Free Armies, Zee tended to the victims of the various bombings that occurred around New York City. When the U.S. government evacuated Manhattan, Zee remained behind to help tend to the hundreds of thousands left behind in the conflict.”

1 Like

Lawful Evil and Chaotic Evil may temporarily align, but always end up fighting over the loot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.