Avon bankrupted by talc cancer lawsuits

Originally published at: Avon bankrupted by talc cancer lawsuits - Boing Boing

5 Likes

Beauty brand Avon Products, known for its door-to-door saleswomen

oddsbobs, haven’t heard of “Avon” in …multiple decades and reading that line became instantly: “ding-dong Avon calling!” man, do those ads get in there; better than relatives’ birthdays.

14 Likes

How has Amway dodged that? There are certain inheritors that I’d like to see chunks of their wealth yoinked away (DeVos).

19 Likes

I see what you did there…

images-8

11 Likes

… I wonder how these operations have been trying to cope these days, since people seem less and less inclined to talk to strangers :thinking:

5 Likes

Aww man. My mom sold for Mary Kay in the nineties and Avon in the aughts. Then some essential oil mlm in the teens.

I cut my makeup-applying teeth on Mary Kay, and later switched to Avon because my mom gave me stuff for free.

Hope that’s not why I’m in so much pain now…

13 Likes

Facebook groups. I’ve had a number of friends invite me to their mlm groups. Lululemon, jewelry, essential oils, and Pampered Chef come to mind. They’ll organize parties at their place and advertise their stock directly to their friends list.

15 Likes

I wonder what the mormon mlm ladies are gonna do now

2 Likes

… I noticed they set “On Becoming A God In Central Florida” in the 1990s rather than trying to figure out how it would work now :thinking:

3 Likes

People get shot for that sort of thing nowadays.

1 Like

I’m sure it will be purchased by a private equity necromancer and turned into yet another zombie brand.

7 Likes

There is only one true Avon, and that’s Kerr Avon, thank you very much.

8 Likes

Ding dong, indeed.

9 Likes

If I need to go and open a door for someone, I’ll open it part way then say “If it’s Avon, we aren’t buying” before opening it the rest of the way. It’s a small chuckle, but we need all the silliness we can get these days.

4 Likes

I bought some Avon from a friend years ago. Even then, it was mostly online. All of the sellers had their own pages, so you would just go online to order everything. Nowadays, everyone is online, so there’s really nothing to set Avon apart. Whether you want high end makeup or cheap drug store makeup, you can go online and order it from anywhere. I suspect that’s why Avon has struggled. There’s nothing setting them apart anymore. It used to be a good way to get better quality makeup than what was in your local drugstore without breaking your bank. Now, they’re just one of dozens.

2 Likes

Atari Avon, part of the Kodak JC Penney family.

2 Likes

I’ll be curious to see what happens to the Skin So Soft line of moisturizers. It’s the best mosquito repellant around. At least for the ones here in the mid Atlantic states.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.