Awesome dad unperturbed by 2-year-old son's penchant for wearing dresses

In an age before modern detergent and oxiclean, the best solution was for everything a baby/toddler came in contact with to be white. Boil it, douse it in bleach, and scrub the heck out of it!

4 Likes

Yep, white was the color of choice for the body of outfits. Ribbons, ties, and other accessories are what got the color treatment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My 5 year old son currently has pink nail polish on his toes. At the same time he claims he loves all colours equally except pink. No idea where he picked that up, but apparently pink is okay when it’s nail polish.

1 Like

that’s a good point. probably too subtle for the kids, though, but yeah – setting an example and choosing one he wanted to wear would’ve been a good thing, too. but he’s already being so awesome, so i hate to quibble.

1 Like

I dunno, I’m torn on that. Yes, the lesson to learn is “wear what you want”… But sometimes, you just do fun things that your kids ask you to do because they’re fun, and it makes them happy. :slight_smile: His daughter said “Daddy, you can wear a dress too, and we’ll all be matching!” and he went along with it. He gets a dad high five from me for that. Reminds me of the time my daughter (who is 2) wanted me to wear a tiara with her when we went out on day… It was tiaras all around!

On QI they once had the question “Why is Benjamin Franklin wearing a dress in this picture” with a picture of a 4-year-old Benjamin Franklin. The answer, of course, was all children, regardless of their sex wore the same white dresses until they were about six.

But we don’t even have to go back a century. When I was a kid blue was for boys and pink was for girls but I don’t think the hysteria about that was so extreme as it is with my children. A part of the article that really stuck with me is when a gay friend of the dad reassured him that this didn’t mean his son was gay.

Aside from the absurdity of the idea that a two-year-old wanting to dress in his four-year-old sibling’s clothes says anything about his sexuality, I’d be saddened if a gay friend of mine assumed I didn’t want my children to be gay. It’s sad that is seen as okay or understandable.

But I see it all the time. People become parents and any festering prejudices they have bubble up. It’s not just homophobia - white people don’t want to send their kids to schools with high populations of non-white children (those aren’t the good schools, apparently). It’s okay to be a sexist, racist, homophobe as long as you are doing it on behalf of children.

1 Like

Sure, it was just minor nitpicking for me really. As long as the kids get that daddy’s not always going to do what you tell him to.

Agreed. Though I’m growing fond of tiaras.

Parents don’t want their children to be gay because we don’t want our children to be forced to face the hardships reserved for gay people. If you don’t want your child to be born blind, that doesn’t mean you hate or fear blind people - although that’s a poor comparison, because being gay isn’t a disability. But you get my point, right? It’s normal for a parent to want a child to have as easy a life as is compatible with their becoming a useful and self-actualized adult. It’s not homophobia or racism to want your child to be able to easily blend with the mainstream, it’s just normal parental empathy and protectionism. I have several close friends who are gay, but I don’t want my children to be gay, although I certainly won’t love them any less if they are, or try to make them anything they can’t be.

1 Like

At this point in our civilisation, the pink-is-for-girls and blue-is-for-boys crap is entirely because of market segmentation, probably the biggest evil committed upon humans by marketing departments worldwide. All the progress we made in the 20th century, being deliberately undone by suits who are “just doing what sells”, which coincidentally always seems to be the most conservative, regressive bullshit. Any time I have the misfortune to be stuck watching TV, or leave the ad-blocker turned off on a video site, I’m shocked at the insidious sexism, racism, classism, in TV-style advertising in particular. Housewives bringing their fat stupid husbands a beer, in the 21st fucking century! God! It makes me livid!!

I’ve been thinking about this for a couple of hours now. It feels like there is something wrong with this idea but I can’t nail down what it is. I guess I don’t like the world where there are special hardships for gay people and I can’t stomach living that way. I know that reality doesn’t warp to my will, maybe it’s just a “be the change” thing.

Also, no accusations here, but I’ve heard that line as a cover-up for blatant homophobia.

1 Like

I can say what’s wrong with it. It’s the same reason that parents might not want to have a daughter. After all girls have a hard time in this world, too.

The argument that parents don’t want their children to be a certain way because the world won’t accept them as easily is backwards. Parents really shouldn’t be worried about that. They should be worried about making sure that the world will accept their child - no matter who they are.

4 Likes

You should stop right there and not go making assumptions.

I don’t give a flying spaghetti monster what my kid’s sexuality is and what I want for them or not is completely irrelevant regarding a genetic trait. That’s like not wanting my kids to have red hair or be left handed. Are you as greatly concerned about your left handed kids blending with the mainstream? I see it as just another aspect of who they are and fuck the mainstream, right in it’s goddamned ear.

2 Likes

@catgrin, @anon50609448, @SteampunkBanana:

I’m not capable of being the kind of parent who would sacrifice my children’s future happiness to make my own socio-political points today. That’s what this thread is all about, after all - for some reason many people seem to think it’s weird for a male child to wear a dress (I live near Amish country so it’s not weird to me) and we’re all applauding this father’s willingness to discard popular opinions of appropriate attire in his desire for his child to be happy.

Now, if you are gay, or have friends who are gay, and you really have truly understood the problems that comes with, you’ll have to acknowledge that it’s easier to be straight. Are any of you going to deny that? Are you going to say that oppressed minorities are happier than the mainstream because their lives are inherently better than others? If you are going to make that statement, I can’t continue this argument, because I cannot accept that as an axiom given what I have seen with my own eyes. I know for a fact that my life is easier than the life of a gay man; in my own case nearly all my tribulations have been self-inflicted.

And personally I don’t get to choose whether I love my children or not. Maybe some people do but I don’t; the meat engine my consciousness inhabits is wired in a way that gives me little choice in such matters. I don’t really get to choose whether gay people’s lives are harder or easier, either, although I do everything I can for equality. Recognition that my friends and family can be part of that minority is part of why I care about equality. It will take more than just my efforts to turn the tide, though, and that’s the reality. Again if you insist that I’m wrong, and I personally can single-handedly change the entire world’s state, I can’t argue with you because your axioms are impossible for me to accept. Reality is, and the reality is that it’s going to take a long time to finish this job, and in the meantime my kids are here now.

Fundamentally, I don’t want my kids to have to suffer in any way that won’t eventually result in their greater happiness. That’s more complex than it sounds. Heroin injections make people happy in the short term, lack of discipline and education makes naughty or foolish children happy in the short term, but a good parent is looking at the long term, making every effort possible to ensure that long after the parents are raven’s meat the children will still be optimally suited to their environment. If you don’t believe that, go argue with Darwin. Part of being optimally suited to one’s environment is being as happy and self-actualized as it is possible to be. If you don’t believe that, go argue with Freud. The fact that the job’s inherently impossible - because we can’t really ever know what the future will bring - changes nothing, we’re still going to do the best we know how to do. I was born this way. I can’t help it.

And if you think I’m a bigot, I don’t know what I can say to convince you otherwise. Jefferson said our religion cannot be read in our words, but rather must be seen in our lives - and all you get to know here is my words. But I do try to speak the truth when it will harm no other, and so I won’t lie to gay people and say that I wanted my children to be born gay. I didn’t; I hope they are straight. I’m sorry if that offends, but it is truth. I like vanilla better than chocolate, and it that offends, I cannot change my genes to make chocolate taste better to me, it’s just built in.

Does that mean I’d love them less if they were gay? Well, if I was looking for a fight I’d make a counter-accusation here - something like “what the hell is wrong with you people, that you think I would love my own children less if they were a different gender, or race, or sexuality than what I might have wished for? Are you even human? How dare you suggest that I share such a disgusting attitude?”. But I’m not looking for a fight, because I’ve enjoyed our past conversations, even on those occasions when we’ve disagreed. Instead I’m hoping to clarify my point.

See, my daughter, despite having a lot of Mother Africa in her, has fairly straight hair. Am I a bad parent because I’m happy she has hair that is easier to care for than typically African sparse super-tight curls? I would have considered her hair dear to me no matter what, because it is hers, but nonetheless I’m glad it’s easy to groom. We don’t live in Africa so there’s no advantage to nappy hair here. The only reason I didn’t want her to have straight hair before she was born is because it honestly didn’t even occur to me that she wouldn’t have curls.

And when our first child was born my wife cried and said she’d wished for a daughter… because she wanted a baby she could dress in little hats. I am totally not lying; apparently the feelings of a hormone-addled human under stress are not necessarily logical or conformant to political correctness. Does that statement mean she doesn’t love our son, or that she loves our daughter more? Please. I can assure you that’s completely ridiculous. But she did deeply desire a daughter. Should she be castigated or punished for not lying about it?

Right now all my children, nieces and nephews appear to be quite straight, although some are still young enough for this not to be certain. That makes all of our lives easier. I’m not going to lie and say I regret this when such a lie can’t help anybody. Several of my friends and many of my congregation are gay, and I already like them the way they are, I don’t want them to change. I see no contradiction or bigotry here, but I’ll acknowledge that bigots rarely recognize their own cognitive dissonance, and try to keep my mind open to the possibility that I’m wrong.

PS: Banana, I didn’t want my kids to be right- or left-handed, I wanted them to be ambidextrous. In fact I tested them while they were still pre-lingual.

1 Like

That would have come across so much better if you had just written “we don’t want anyone, gay or straight, to face the hardships currently reserved for gay people.”

1 Like

I’ll leave it stand to keep the continuity of the thread, but you are so, so right. Thanks for the better version.

2 Likes

My cousin is a dyke. One of my best friends, who I’ve known for over 20 years in California is big, gay teddy bear. That’s just two of the people I know getting along swimmingly. (I also know boys who wear fishnets and skirts, and female truck mechanic, and more.)

I went to college in the midwest - Purdue. I met a very good friend there. She was outed when she started nursing, and she’s never looked back! In Indianapolis there’s a huge lesbian population. You just never know where those gays will show up, do you?

Me? I’m straight.
My problem is that I’m built like Jessica Rabbit and a total geek. You can imagine how that goes over with people. It hurts their brains. (I also happen to be left handed and have epilepsy, so I guess that’s a bit of a problem.)

Everyone has problems. Pretending that your child will be perfect and have no problems is more far dangerous to them than teaching them how to overcome them or deal with people who don’t understand them.

1 Like

Exactly. You make your own mainstream and you surround those having a hard time in any way as best you can with whatever support you can muster. I’m the straight family man outlier in a lot of the groups of gay people I hang out with, but it’s irrelevant because they like me for who I am.

You give your kids the tools to not worry about the mainstream and if they’re liked if they’re left handed, black, too smart, too dumb, or gay, because they will be different in some way important to someone who is looking to mock them. So instead of hoping they are one way or another you teach them to ignore that guy completely.

2 Likes

As long as you are busy having preferences for hair type, handedness, sex, height, personality and everything else under the sun, having a preference for sexual orientation being just another one of those things seems rather innocuous.

I think this is a side note, because I don’t care for noble lies, but if you think that saying that you hope your kids aren’t gay can’t harm anyone then I think you are wrong about that. It’s also a pointless truth if it is true. While a mother who has just given birth gets a pass for crying about hats, what’s up with hoping about something that you can have no control over when it could serve no possible purpose other than to make a gay person feel devalued? That hope is at best nothing and at worst a brief but detectable flicker of disappointment on your face when your kid tells you they are gay.

I find this impossible to resolve. The tension between suffering and adding up to their greater happiness - how could we possibly know what falls on what side of that? I know that some people who are gay have a lot of problems because the interface between being gay and the culture I live in. On the other hand, many people who are gay don’t, and if you asked me to name the happiest people I know my gay friends would be over-represented.

I’d probably like everyone to suffer less than they are going to, but if I start hoping that they are a certain way rather than that they have certain experiences I don’t see how that isn’t devaluing the people who are the way I’m hoping they aren’t. It’s one thing to look at statistics and say that gay people are worse off than straight people, it’s another thing imply that an individual that they are worse off because they are gay.

The only thing I really want for with my children is that they are girls. But that’s because I am crazy bigoted against men. I honestly do worry that I wouldn’t love my son (this may be a stupid worry, but I’d rather not find out it isn’t). I also wish that they don’t have serious birth defects or terrible genetic illnesses as well, but I honestly wish that no children have those, so it’s not really the same thing.

Since I’m being disastrously truthful here, I’ll agree you probably shouldn’t adopt or stepmother a boy or young man, because that might be a real issue under those circumstances. But if you bore a child of your body, or adopted a newborn, your feelings about men in general almost certainly wouldn’t transfer to your feelings about the baby. It’s really vanishingly rare for conditioned feelings to be able to overcome millennia of evolution in this regard; I think we find child abuse so viscerally horrific because deep down we know it’s fundamentally unnatural for us to fail to love our children. Babies who aren’t well loved before age three develop attachment disorder; we are built to love and we need it, biologically; a mother will love because we humans are made that way. I hope that was a confirming and assuring statement, but given my record for getting my ideas across here, I’ll settle for you not being insulted. :\

@SteampunkBanana, I don’t understand how you get to choose what your hopes are. I can ignore a remarkable amount of pain, for example, but I can’t magically make myself stop hoping it will end. It’s no more controllable than the color of my skin (less, really). My hopes and emotions are an organic part of my being. Did you see what Brainspore said just above? Maybe that will make things clearer.

@catgrin, I think you are confusing my desire for my children’s happiness with value judgements; you’re thinking that because I hoped they wouldn’t be gay, that means I think gay people are inferior or something. I don’t think they are inferior; I think they are oppressed. I don’t want anyone to be part of an oppressed group, people should only be oppressed if they’ve individually chosen to do something that deserves sanction, not because they’re in a less favorited part of somebody’s Venn Diagram. However, I am not going to pretend that nobody’s being oppressed, like you guys seem to be insisting I should, and I’m not going to pretend I want my children to be among the oppressed, either. I agree with everything you’ve said (my children are not and will probably never be part of the mainstream) but I don’t see how that has anything to do with your objections to my emotions.