Awesome Song Thread!

Welch songs? OK…

This is the best I could do. It might not be Welch, but there’s a definite Welch’s connection.

1 Like

or perhaps this…

Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac

3 Likes

I’m not sure if these go here, or if I should fork another thread. I’ll drop them and check back later.

6 Likes

or:

I’m having an evening…

4 Likes

these go here

2 Likes

265 posts and no Zappa… Let me fix that:

Uncle Remus

Let’s make the water turn black

4 Likes

The boys from Quadrant 44, with their vicious metal hounds don’t come 'round here no more:

Ballad of Maxwell Demon - Shudder to Think
from Velvet Goldmine

1 Like

today I learned that this is not the original version. it is not even a very well-known version. but it is the best version.

this is the one on the tape my girlfriend had in her car; the first version I heard. so, i’m biased. but objectively, I think the baritone and the line delivery are still better than the rest.

2 Likes
9 Likes

You could easily just post their entire discography…

I’ll leave this for now, the other singing half:

5 Likes

You could easily just post their entire discography…

They’ve produced a lot of great music, but I still feel “The Host of Seraphim” was exemplary. Like all other groups, some of their stuff is also not that memorable.

Edit to add: That’s one of the things I struggle with in this thread. Some groups put out a lot of good work, and it’s hard to make the selection of what is an “awesome song” when judged against their entire catalog. It’s also fun to try to figure out those cases.

Maybe we need a thread for “one of these things is not like the other”, for songs that are either the one most-horrible or most-wonderful song in an oeuvre.

1 Like

That is a capital idea. You gonna start it, or you gonna wait for someone else to?

1 Like

Oddly, a different website I frequent (a cricket one!) ended up having a thread recently about bands with a track record of complete shite coming up with one bizarrely good track. Every dog has its day.

Crazy Horses by The Osmonds was one that got mentioned.

1 Like

LOL! I’d have to think of a performer/group that fit the category first.

Yes. I think we’d be making the boxes too small at that point.

5 Likes

Damn it. You have to go all Quentin on us? Think of the sanctity of the thread man.
Edit to add: I still come back here and find things I missed before.

1 Like

That is some horrible lip sync, dub work on that video. It’s also an awesome song in it’s own right. Damn. I’m torn.

1 Like
2 Likes