The OG:

2 Likes
9 Likes

Since I missed this on the counting threadā€¦

8 Likes
4 Likes

I still have that album! And another one from the same vintageā€¦

2 Likes

Damn you, @AcerPlatanoides!!! Iā€™m never going to get off the computer now. As the memories flood backā€¦

And for a slightly different definition of ā€œawesomeā€ songā€¦

2 Likes

MacArthur Park - Richard Harris

3 Likes

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT Heavy Bongo Vibes.

3 Likes
4 Likes

This is one hell of a mix tape

5 Likes

I feel like I keep posting stuff thatā€™s too recent, but whatever. Not enough Welsh stuff on here yet for my liking. Loved this band for a little while (despite the novelty breakout single) then they broke up mid-tour, a week before I could see them.

3 Likes

One of my favourite bands ever.

So much venom, so much spite, so lovely:

1 Like

#getting caught up on the thread today

like a modern-day ESG, except japanese

yes. emphatically, I say yes.

RE: Memphis Minnie, oh, hell yeah. an old friend was a big Memphis Minnie fan, havenā€™t heard any in a looooong time. Was it you that posted some Washboard Sam in a thread a few years back? I listen to him all the time because of that post.

@catgrin, @sam, @Mindysan33
I donā€™t dig on Disney, havenā€™t seen Frozen, and have zero desire to have a schmaltzy Disney pop song become yet another annoying earworm, so I have not clicked any of yā€™allā€™s LIG embeds. BUT, for a legit awesome song that has that same title, look no further than Prince. it was a single from the Come LP, but no youtube because Prince : (

itā€™s good! puts me in the mind of Tori Amosā€™s semi-recent Night of Hunters LP, which works for me.

RE: birdhouse in your soul, Flood is an album for the ages, IMO. Itā€™s hard to compare it to, say Darkside of the Moon or Kind of Blue because theyā€™re so serious and ā€œadvanced,ā€ but I truly feel it has that same ā€œperfect albumā€ quality. (guess Iā€™ll @sam here, too)

RE: PacificUV and Miagres, Iā€™ve been really impressed with ONUINUā€™s Mirror Gazer LP since I first heard this single about a year ago, itā€™s similar to those

RE: Julio, I kinda dig the band arrangement, but his voice is so cheezy. I sang the English-language version in a Bobby D stylee for karaoke once at a rock-n-roll bar and actually managed to hit all the notes right. The host, somewhat taken aback, said ā€œIā€¦ I think my mom would fuck you!ā€

RE: Stiff Little Fingers, that song was my gateway to them from when a friend put it on a comp for me. got curious and DLā€™d the LP a few years back, I listen to it at work all the time. an incredibly slept-on band, at least in the US.

RE: Catatonia, this is of mid-90ā€™s vintage? really dig it.

that cover art is wonderful. as is that Waits tune :beers:

@Mindysan33, Iā€™m sure you know this, but In Case You Didnā€™t Feel Like Showing Up: Live was shot right down the road at the Masquerade. A friend would drive me down to see Pigface shows there when I still lived in Knoxville. I donā€™t really follow industrial music at all, but those were easily among the best, most off-the-hook shows Iā€™ve ever seen.

@chgoliz my grade-school music class used to sing ā€œLove is Blueā€! other than that, I only ever knew the Dells version. it sounds corny for a few bars, but it turns into a soul explosion

I also love MacArthur Park, but my favorite version (Soulful Strings) is not on the tubes.

youā€™ll probably hate it, but there is an awesome Ghostface song built out of the Dells version of LIBā€“sort of a lyrical version of The French Connection if it had an all-black cast ( @AcerPlatanoides here we go with the rabbit hole again)

OK, so Iā€™m caught up now. Hereā€™s the one I was actually planning to contribute

5 Likes

I used to have this on 78. A spider climbed onto me, I jumped off the sofa, and stepped on this record (a better version, I think), and an obscure one from Raymond Scott:

And I didnā€™t play it on no danged electric contraption ā€“ hand-cranked plus steel needles. You wusses with your electrical thungummyfobbers. How do you play that stuff, anyway, when the power goes out?

1 Like

Hereā€™s one for cricket fans (and Divine Comedy fansā€¦)

Edit: speaking of whichā€¦

4 Likes

Itā€™s a rather specific thing, but I always like to break this one out for people who only know Phil Collins drumming from his '80ā€™s pop stuff:

3 Likes

If the jazz fusion left a bad taste in your mouth, wash it out with this:

Itā€™s worth a spin either way.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t planning on putting any MSP songs on here, but as it is the 20th anniversary of the Holy Bible being releasedā€¦

I have a lot of good memories associated with this.

I always loved going to see Pigface. It was always a good time. I think the In Case You Didnā€™t Feel like Showing up was slightly before my time, but I saw the next 3 tours, I think. It was certainly of a time and placeā€¦ Iā€™m not even sure whatā€™s going on with Invisible Records. Last I heard Martin Atkins wrote a book and was promoting it, but that was several years ago.

2 Likes