Baby Yoda has finally jumped the s̶h̶a̶r̶k̶ tank, thanks to the U.S. Army

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/24/baby-yoda-has-finally-jumped-t.html

4 Likes

4 Likes

The only scenario where I’d like to see Disney go after “fans” for trademark infringement…

5 Likes

Sad and disgusting. I have spoken.

4 Likes

Screenshot_2020-02-24 MTcwNjAwNDM3MzAzNjE2Nzc0 webp (WEBP Image, 620 × 326 pixels)
(Dropped as a baby)

4 Likes

Anything to stop our troops from going around with skulls all over their gear in full-on “are-we-the-baddies” mode.

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the comic about militarization of police… very good stuff!

1 Like

The military has been putting Disney characters on their war machines for generations.

duck
mickey-bomber

4 Likes

Well, the franchise is called Star Wars.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not buying the “Yoda is a pacifist” claim now that the prequels have established he took an active leadership role in a war effort that bred and enslaved human beings for the sole purpose of using them as cannon fodder.

7 Likes

I love it when Imperialism borrows from pop culture. Must be a new recruiting initiative.

Yeah, I feel like these guys really get it.
Nobody blinked when Disneyland opened a demilitarized zone full of space Nazis.
You know, for kids.
Why not take their messaging to it’s logical conclusion?

As a society we should reconsider sending children to fight and die for us.

Actually Disney put Disney characters on WWII equipment (not Walt himself).

1 Like

Our tank names back in the '90’s were fairly mundane. The first letter typically indicating which company in the battalion the tank belonged to ( so in Dco you would see names like Dopey, Droopy, Dingbat).

Sometime in the '00’s the culture turned a bit darker and associations with old warrior races (white of course) and crusader imagery crept in. So you started seeing names like Armageddon, Berserker, Destroyer. It wasnt a great time.

I view “Baby Yoda” as a welcome sign of a departure from the warrior cult.

2 Likes

Britain did things differently in the 90s

3 Likes

Both Disney and Warner Bros. made mascots FOR the military.

My grandma once gave me this silk screened print of Donald in a row boat with Pluto dressed as a GI with a Tokyo sign floating in the water. I thought it was just war time ephemera.

Later I noticed a p-156 on the rowboat. This was many years later and I now had the Internet. Did a search, and low and behold, the USS Aultman was AP-156, which was the boat my grandpa was on at one point. He was a career Coastie on a Navy ship. They were bringing equipment from the European theater to the Pacific one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_General_D._E.Aultman(AP-156)

And because the internet never forgets - a pic I took of it is still out there somewhere…

1 Like

M1A2 tank barrels are important disseminators of popular culture.

Its only by the efforts of these attuned American tankers that I learned about the “Cash Me Ouside” meme.

I think the only “infringement actions” will be by the initial M1A2 tanker crew going after a subsequent M1A2 tank crew when that second crew tries to make use of Baby Yoda.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.