Babynames lists victims of lynchings and police violence

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/09/babynames-lists-victims-of-lyn.html

16 Likes

That escalated… appropriately.

32 Likes

As it should have.

8 Likes

Quite possibly one of the most powerful messages yet. Just…wow.

22 Likes

Goodness. This is extremely well done and affecting.

8 Likes

I adore them for leading with Emmett Till. Babynames.com; because they were all babies at one point.

ETA: I just clicked through and saw this lead statement: “Each one of these names was somebody’s baby.” I’m crushed.

14 Likes

applause.gif_2

5 Likes

2nd the praise for Emmett Till leading the list, 1st one that came to mind, most horrific image I’ve ever seen and his mother purposely chose to have an open casket so that all of us would have to witness. I understand why Rodney King might not make this list, but he certainly was central to two moments we should have learned more from.

10 Likes

This actually brought a tear to my eye. I wasn’t expecting that.

3 Likes

I don’t know what other to say about this, except. Good.

2 Likes

Yeah, it led to a great discussion with my daughter about what Emmett Till’s death meant for the country (because I was crying). They covered it this year in social studies, but I don’t think they really conveyed the impact and, especially his mother’s decision to leave the casket open.

ETA: Welcome to BBS!

3 Likes

The site is very slow and doesn’t always load. Either they’re getting more interest than expected or some d**kwads are DDOSing it. More likely the latter, unfortunately.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.