Back alley Botox a bad idea, officials warn

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/11/back-alley-botox-a-bad-idea-officials-warn.html

6 Likes

A bottle that large better not be botox!

Botulinum neurotoxin is considered the deadliest toxin known due to its high potency and lethality, with a lethal dose (LD50 - the amount required to kill 50% of a test sample) of 1 ng to 3 ng (nanograms) of toxin per kilogram (kg) of body mass.

6 Likes

Idiot America 2024: don’t let random people inject neurotoxins into your face.

6 Likes

The problem from our end would be the folks who don’t want to admit what they did, because this could be interpreted as a stroke and lead to delays and misdiagnosis. I don’t think botulinum would occur to me (previously) unless it was mentioned. What a fucked up situation!

11 Likes

Also don’t let any rando with a scalpel and a vacuum cleaner perform liposuction surgery.

2 Likes

That’s a bit less random.

3 Likes

In my day we poisoned ourselves with lead, arsenic, and mercury makeup. And we liked it!

4 Likes

Don’t forget atropine!

1 Like

I know someone who got “Botox” in this situation, from a nurse friend doing some side work. It turned out to be a very bad idea for a completely different reason. Problem was, the “Botox” turned out to actually be acid used in some sort of chemical peel, so instead of a nice, smooth forehead, she’s got quite visible scars.

4 Likes

Well it’s just marge isn’t it

3 Likes

Anything, really. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

ahhhhh, so the tag was not a euphemism; my mistake.

1 Like

It’s front alley botox or nothing.

3 Likes

I’d be interested to know how the sausage is made when it comes to the supply of brand x botulism toxin.

It’s…not exactly…a prime candidate for a thriving generic market: big molecule biologic, toxicity high enough to imply both really fiddly handling requirements and probably a certain amount of regulatory scrutiny; plus toxicity high enough that not all that much of it is used: I couldn’t find more recent data; but in 2011 Allergan(who makes Botox for both therapeutic and aesthetic purposes) said that less than a gram of toxin filled their entire requirement for the year across all indications they sold for and all markets they sold in.

Are there still cut-price generic shops that manage to be mostly really careful for less? Quiet re-importation of first-party stuff sold at prices palatable to countries that aren’t the US and intended to stay there? First-party stuff sold for non-cosmetic purposes at a lower markup but in a formulation not suited for cosmetic injection? Is it mostly the real thing just administered by people who don’t know how to keep it localized in the muscles and sometimes put more into the bloodstream than is intended?

3 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say “back alley” anything is a bad idea.
Unless it’s a bar or nightclub.
Maybe.

2 Likes

XpAEmXEAZ5UCp0VRyYrUW2qwaLk=

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.