Back-room revisions to TPP sneakily crimanlizes fansubbing & other copyright grey zones

[Read the post]

Yet another thing that bugs me. I am a huge fan of obscure cinema, and there are plenty of great films that will never be translated into a language that I can understand. The subs trading community is a wonderful thing. Of course the rights holders want to kill it, because the five people who want to watch an obscure documentary with English subs are killing the film industry.

[quote=“doctorow, post:1, topic:73888”]the new text forces all signatories to pass criminal laws against copyright infringements where there is no damages – even where the copyright holder doesn’t complain.[/quote]So… Signatories are expected to actively police media distribution? Or is this just something the authorities are expected to be able to whip out when they have an unusual need for a particular excuse to make someone’s life miserable?

Legalize freedom!

i don’t have a library of gifs but the appropriate one here is the little hispanic girl asking “why can’t it be both”[quote=“Jorpho, post:3, topic:73888”]
So… Signatories are expected to actively police media distribution? Or is this just something the authorities are expected to be able to whip out when they have an unusual need for a particular excuse to make someone’s life miserable?
[/quote]

crimanlizes? That’s one of those engfan words isn’t it?

There are no ‘grey zones’ only licensing opportunities!

If any of the BB regulars is truly surprised by this, please put me on the List of People Disappointed in BoingBoing.

I guess my wife, an avid Korean drama fan, can say goodbye to Viki and Drama Fever.

but we have one. did work fine for this one: I searched for “why not” in the thread.

thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.