Backcountry guide killed by grizzly bear near Yellowstone National Park

Originally published at: Backcountry guide killed by grizzly bear near Yellowstone National Park | Boing Boing

4 Likes

CNN: posts picture of black bear, derp.

This is a sad story; it’s hard to imagine the terror he must have felt.

10 Likes

The hunter became the hunted.

“Holy shit, Joe touched that downed power line and got killed! We better touch it again to assess the risk!”

Kill ‘em all! There can be no risk!

2 Likes

Not to make light of the incident but…

12 Likes

I’ve watched the Revenant and do not want to ever meet a Grizzly in the wild.

They can shit in the woods by themselves.

5 Likes

And often do…

2 Likes

Nature doesn’t mess around. I spend a lot of time in grizzly country and have luckily never encountered one. My encounter with a polar bear was enough that I don’t ever really want to, either (I used up a significant portion of my luck on that one, I’m sure).

7 Likes

Nor do zoologists, who first named grizzlies Ursus horribilis.

6 Likes

Grizzlies are nothing to mess around with. My dad has some grizzly stories from Alaska. One got into a storage shed and ate a whole big tin of molasses.

3 Likes

Why didn’t it eat the entire mole?

10 Likes

That comment made me cry.

:rofl:

Still crying…

2 Likes

Well clearly it was a tin of just mole asses vs whole moles. Why? I dunno how they do things up north.

1 Like

Must be a delicacy. I think they serve it at Joe Beef with a gallon of maple syrup.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, that was based on confusion between the bear being grizzly (having silver-tipped fur) and grisly (as in gruesome or horrible.)

Seems the latter was in play in this case…

I feel bad for the man. I feel bad for the bear. I feel bad for the team who had to put the bear down despite (I should think) being professionally opposed to doing such things. The only one I don’t feel bad for is the moose. It knows what it did.

2 Likes

Thank you. I’m still laughing!

After three grizz close encounters of my own while hiking (one of which may have occurred an hour after someone ate some psilocybe variant), I am grateful to be here to appreciate your post.
Sometimes, wearing those stupid bells and talking loudly as you walk doesn’t tip the bear off and you surprise it. Not good.

Which reminds me a common bear joke: Due to the frequency of human-bear encounters, the B.C. Fish and Wildlife Branch is advising hikers, hunters, anglers and any persons that use the out of doors in a recreational or work related function to take extra precautions while in the field.

We advise people to wear little noisy bells on clothing so as to give advanced warning to any bears that might be close by so you don’t take them by surprise.

We also advise anyone using the out-of-doors to carry “Pepper Spray” with them is case of an encounter with a bear.

People should also be on the watch for fresh bear activity, and be able to tell the difference between black bear feces and grizzly bear feces. Black bear feces is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear feces has bells in it and smells like pepper.

4 Likes

They can shit where the fuck they like!

I need a new keyboard now. :wink:

2 Likes

I guess that depends on whether you count fishing as hunting.

It certainly doesn’t appear that this man went into the woods intending any harm to the bear. He was carrying bear spray, not a gun.

1 Like