Badass Dragons of the Wasteland - Final Round

So, let’s sink another drink
cuz it will give me time to think

3 Likes

5 Likes

Just touching up one last illustration with Chris. Man, that guy does hilarious and amazing work!

3 Likes

De’Ath’s calculations were solid, and by rights we should have pulled into Edwards with a healthy 20-minute lead on the worms to load our passengers and baggage onto the Ark in a leisurely way. But the condition of the road meant we arrived with smaller worms nipping at our tailpipes and the larger worms barely five minutes behind us. We cut a carload of Lamplighters loose as soon as the tower hove into view so they could haul ass over to it and start scrambling up the stairs to the summit. They were waiting at the top just as Marion parked herself with uncanny precision in perfect alignment with the tower, and as soon as Stark’s launch code was typed into the keypad, the Ark’s hatch opened and the Martians-to-be filed inside. They immediately began throwing out all the protective film, shrinkwrap, and styrofoam packing material from the consoles in the cockpit, and young MacReady had the honor of christening the Ark’s SHITGO throne by virtue of being the kid most likely to soil the flight deck if he didn’t get let into the head first.

Channing and De’Ath ran breathlessly up the stairs, a kid tucked under each arm. “Time to go!” hollered Channing as the Ark rocked with a hollow-sounding BONG!!! I sneaked a glance outside in time to see a worm apparently trying to mate with the Ark.

Clank and Balthar pulled up outside the launch bunker and dove inside. The Major’s new 911 pulled up right behind them, and the Major paused before following them, narrowing his eyes at the approaching mass of worms. “Oh, bloody hell.”

Balthar bellowed, “Get in here! Don’t be a fool!”

“I’ve got less than twenty miles on her!”

“Get in!!”

Jane shoved the Major into the bunker as she passed, slamming the door shut.

“Marion, are you installed and prepped for transit?”

“Affirmative.  Are you prepared to relieve me?”

“Affirmative. You are relieved. Godspeed, and may the Craftsman honor all your warranties, express or implied.”

“Per fæx ad astra.”

Clank smiled. “Keep the shiny side up, lady.”

Then, in unison, Marion and Clank shouted "FREEZE!!"

Everyone froze where they were. The kids sat silently buckled into their seats. Nobody made a sound.

NOW, JUNIOR.

And five miles to the north, the E.A.R.A.C.H.E. fired one last time.

“Well, that’ll certainly attract the worms,” I thought.

Click to embiggen and Launch!

Nah, Major, the worms are fried, but your ride is okay.

The Earthlings left behind peered upward past the charred worms.

“In the roar of an engine, he lost everything. And became a shell of a man, a burnt out, desolate man, a man haunted by the demons of his past, a man who wandered out into the wasteland. And it was here, in this blighted place, that he learned to live again…”

“Quiet, Balthar, don’t get all maudlin. Anyone seen Jane?”

4 Likes

Right. Time for a kip. How long till we reach Mars?

Corduroy spacesuits? Really?

4 Likes

Hey, epilogues are up to you guys.

Huh. remember when I announced this thing, some 294 days ago?

I may have underestimated its length a bit.

4 Likes
1 Like

If you guys had one quarter of the fun that I did (which may be over-optimistic), then a splendid time was had by all.

Anyway. Thank you for everything, not least of which your monumental patience. I am definitely not cut out for doing something this ambitious on anything like a predictable schedule. But I can’t wait to play with you guys again, when someone more competent takes the reins.

And buckets of undying gratitude to @JonasEggeater for his spreadsheet wizardry and late-night game counsel, and especially to @penguinchris for his hugely entertaining art and dogged determination to help me drag this goddamned thing all the way home to Mars. I couldn’t have done anything remotely like it without them. Whatever success we achieved should be credited to those guys, truly.

That said, I wouldn’t have wanted to finish this thing were it not for you players, especially the long-haulers who got us all the way there. You guys are Fucking Hilarious, and I’ll personally run over anyone who suggests otherwise.

8 Likes

OOC: calling out of work, just gunna watch this all day

http://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/f/5/f54751aadfa4b3870cb765e8c737ea427615e8a5.gif

4 Likes

I would be remiss if I didn’t offer my hearty thanks to all of you.

Wasn’t quite what I expected, but it was a lot of fun.

Especial thanks to @funruly for driving so much of the player interactions.

3 Likes

Hear, hear.

And I look forward to seeing what he pulls out next in the realm of Badassery, whenever time and circumstances permit! And I also offer my most abject apologies for hogging all the time and attention for nine months when by now we should have played and finished half-a-dozen other games… funruly’s been graciously waiting for me to get my cracked ass out of the way before introducing a game concept of his own. Graciously waiting since, like, February.

I owe him (and you all) bigtime.

2 Likes

Isn’t @patrace planning another game too? Or was, until we hijacked his thread on it to carry on with this one :smile:

2 Likes

I believe he is… I think he mentioned it would be taking place this winter.

Maybe @funruly has time to squeeze in beforehand…? We got six weeks…

(I am selfish, I am greedy, I want more of this stuff, but I want it from people who can do it right!)

Edit: that means both of those guys, of course. Just not chuckleheads like me.

1 Like

That was a nice bloody car. What the hell am I doing in a flying tin can?! Asaf!!!

1 Like

Nah. @patrace has next. He’s already called it, and he’s the godfather.

Badass Space Dragons 2: Electric Boogaloo this winter.

I call dibs on following with something Spring-ish.

Hey, you’re in the bunker with Balthar. Your sweet Teutonic ride is right outside.

For about 5 minutes, Jane was going to stay behind to finish her book, and I had her yanking you inside the bunker. Then when Chris decided she’d probably choose to go to Mars, I had her shove you inside on her way to the ladder.

1 Like

Thanks. This feeds right into my Jane/Cougar slashfic.

2 Likes

Anytime, Daneel, CBE.

4 Likes

Not just yet. I have to do a bit more service to the crown before I get nominated for that.

2 Likes

Bloody hell! Thank my lucky stars! Enjoy the trip, and see you soon!

2 Likes