Badass Dragons of the Wasteland - Final Round

Without bothering to do any math, I imagine we need to set off a thumper 15 miles equidistant of the nests and start the convoy. The worms will start going there, get 6.66 miles there and then turn around. Give them 20 minutes to start back and launch the second one. That’s 40 minutes of travel time.

The second one gets them about 7-8 miles from the convoy and stops, they turn back and 40 minutes later the third is set off. That’s been 80 minutes of travel time.

The third one gets them about 10 miles from the convoy and stops before they turn back and we’ve been given 120 minutes of time, which is going to be pretty goddamned close because I’m pretty sure nothing ever goes anything close to planned on this trip.

2 Likes

That’s why I asked where we can set off the thumpers at time 0 - anywhere?

Setting it off where we start is no bueno. The worms East of us will head straight at us, and the ones to the south will end up 10 mins behind us.

Eyeballing it, something like this would seem to work. I think it’s about 30 pixels per mile?

Drag them south and west as we go east and north.

Note we need ~100 mins to reach the pad.

I just don’t want to end up this way at the end of this.

4 Likes

Quick question:
Can Fred get some of us back up to speed so I don’t have to walk out of the desert at the end of this?

And while I’m at it:
Why does a sabotaged repairbot want to go to Mars? What are they going to do with him up there without raw materials?

4 Likes

3 Likes

Good question - I should have clarified, the thumpers will be set up before the convoy starts. That’s why we need people who are light on their feet/wheels, to run out and set the thumpers without alerting the worms (and why they have a time delay option).

[p.s. yes we are specifically referencing the space eel ending of BSD ;)]

3 Likes

Anyone wanna go look, just for shits and giggles?

Are we constrained to your map, roads etc? Why not just draw the worms further and further south?

If we get both packs of worms > 20 miles away from us, are we home free?

2 Likes

Problem is that once a thumper is set off in a certain spot, the worms know to not bother going that direction again. Likewise, the worms are capable of detecting vibration much further than 20 miles away - including thumper vibration - but often choose to ignore it. But, they won’t ignore the convoy vibration, because it will be going on for so long. Basically, the thumpers will confuse the worms into thinking an immediate threat (or easy food source) exists that they need to check out, but once they feel the convoy vibrations, they are not going to give up on finding out what it is.

We’re not technically limited to the given map area, but the northern roads are completely wiped out and the condition of the roads to the south is extremely poor - although passable, you can’t go very fast without damage to your vehicle and you won’t be able to get back to the convoy in time to help with defense from the smaller worms. Fred will have information shortly about what he’s able to do for repairs, but I suspect we have to plan on not being well-repaired.

Your earlier proposed solution looks reasonable - think we can get Matlab running on this thing (by “this thing” I mean “Fred’s arm”)?

3 Likes

Bruce isn’t around these days, is his little chopper still operable? I knew a thing or two about flying back before it all went to hell.

1 Like

I think that’ll be an excellent mode of thumper deployment. Long as you’ve picked your spots.

2 Likes

OOC : I damn near ran out of petrol IRL once where the Convoy Start is. (Range: 0 miles). It’s a long drive out of Edwards to the highway. I had an optimistic opinion of the fuel efficiency of my hire car…

Also of note, being not American and on base at Edwards is a royal PITA.

2 Likes

Yeah, Fred could do it, but you also have a superpowered Mechanic on your team these days. Repairs to full MaxHP aren’t a problem this round.

1 Like

Before we go… I just want to thank you all again for working so very hard (and for so very, very very long) to save my son and send him off to a hopefully better life. I don’t believe… I don’t think I’ll be able to make it. My damage is too extensive, and I don’t think I have the…

What? I don’t… ohh…

Now, that feels much better!

Okay, I think De’Ath has a solid plan of deployment, and I know he and Balthar have volunteered to run that mission, but since the margins look pretty thin, we’re gonna have to work something out in advance. As best I can decipher De’Ath’s thinking, we should get the Ark to the launch tower just barely ahead of the sandworms. Not all of us intend to go to Mars. Those that do, will need to scamper up the tower and into the Ark as soon as it pulls up next to the tower. Everyone else who chooses to stay on Earth would be well-advised to dive into the launch bunker, and let’s hope we can find something there to gets these worms off our asses.

So let’s divvy up now. Who wants to go to Mars? And who wants to stay back on Earth and maybe rebuild the place?

@daneel De’Ath? You’ve dominated over every foe you’ve encountered. We could use a man of your skill and determination on the fourth planet.

@SteampunkBanana Desmond… your cool levelheadedness has seen us through many a tight spot. Would your discretion and out-of-the-box thinking be more highly valued here… or out on the next frontier?

@gwwar Channing… you have done and risked all for the sake of the future of a small boy you’d never met before. Your mixture of ferocity and heart is unmatched in all the world… or worlds.

@davide405 Clankenstein, you have transcended life and existence itself to join a higher plane of being. One of these worlds desperately needs you. Which will you serve?

@peregrinus_bis Major… dear Major, your loyalty and spirit are a credit to your career as an officer and a gentleman, but your high good humor helped us through our darkest hours. With the passage of your beloved Pinky and Perky, you may feel it time to retire to your beekeeping in Sussex (you’ll need your largest lion-tamer’s whip for those mutant bees, though). But maybe you wish to strike out in a new direction. Can Clank fix you up with a new ride? If so, name your make and model… and name your new home as well.

@funruly And Junior… Junior, you know the truth as well as I do. The boy needs a father now more than ever. And it’s past time for deceptions and half-truths. You have an effect on me.

Come on. Come on. Come on. Let’s go Space Truckin’!

6 Likes

As for me, I will serve this battered old orb called Earth.

4 Likes

I think I read rather too much Edgar Rice Burroughs as a youth. Barsoom it is, if I survive. Maybe a nice moon of my own to retire to?

4 Likes

Feet on the ground, me. Lots of scores to settle here. Lots.

Clank - I’m going to keep you safe and happy. And have a bloody fast time doing it!

Say Helllloooo to Herman Munster!

Herman is a Porsche Carrera 911 RSR 2.1 Turbo, 2nd place in the 1974 Le Mans. 2nd place against the souped-up prototype racers. 2nd place stuck in 4th gear. 2nd place driven by Lennep/Muller.

What a lovely bit of kit.

5 Likes

First off, thanks to the Reverend Clankenstein for getting the 427 back to it’s original fine shine. That hunter green paint is pretty difficult to get touch up bottles of these days.

My original intent was to see Marion off safely to Mars and then drive off into the wastelands, content that I’d stopped a despotic warlord from gaining plenipotentiary powers and running roughshod over the wastelands. Now that she’s split herself into two, well, it looks like I’m not done here yet. I’ll be loading up the 50 cals, checking the railgun, scrapping for more armor, and counting my lucky toes to make sure that Toecutter’s legend is known far and wide and that Marion/Clankenstein is off limits. If anyone wants to start trouble I’ll be there to end it in a quick hurry.

One might have powers on an intergalactic scale but they’re going to need someone else to get their hands dirty and mow down a horde of zombie Hollywood starlets. You guys have a good trip, make things nice, and I’ll stay here to make sure people don’t need to steal a rocket and drag it past hundreds of miles of trouble to have their kids grow up normal.

5 Likes

It’s been so long, it seems a shame not to follow through and head out to Mars. For those of you not coming, it’s been a pleasure. May you have plentiful bullets and pizza.

3 Likes

I’m waiting here, at the start, where the third Thumper is. When it activates, I go north 5 miles. If it doesn’t activate, I start blaring the E.A.R.A.C.H.E., and I become the third Thumper.

Well, we: Lemmy and I. As it’s highly inadvisable that we send a zombie on that rocket, no matter how genteel and British he may be, Lemmy has asked for a ride up to `Frisco to check in on the Fillmore to see whether there are other rockers that manage to stay cool as zombies.

Assuming the 3rd thumper starts when it should - just as its 20 minute ticker starts expiring, we fire up the E.A.R.A.C.H.E. and drive north at 25MPH. Hopefully, the worms will chase for a bit, giving you all maybe about another 5-10 minutes.

NO. What the boy NEEDS is a GOD-DAMNED HAIRCUT. Has needed it for what seems like the better part of a year.

Look, kid. You’re growing up alright, and you’ve a great mother. Probably the best mom left on Earth. But, you see, sometimes a parent can love a child so much, too much, they spoil the kid. Protect someone a bit too much from life and they forget this whole drive is a scrape from one refill to the next. A spoiled person starts to take things for granted, like toppings on pizza.

Back before the war, there were these people called “helicopter parents,” who would hover over their children, and protect them from learning the hard knocks of life. Well, your mom is not just a helicopter parent - she’s a goddamned Rocket Parent.

It’s fine, she’s loves you more than anything, but you still need to learn the hard lessons of life. I’m not much of a teacher, but I do know that no man should go around with an unruly rats nest for a head.

Here: Hold still.

There. Now with an Ape Drape like that, you will be slaying those little lamplighter gals all the way to Mars.

Hey, what are you all looking at? Just because this is goodbye doesn’t mean this is the end of the road.

We still have Drivin’ to do.

7 Likes

Gotta say, I haven’t laughed that hard in a while.

3 Likes

We still have Drivin’ to do.

7 Likes