Badass Dragons of the Wasteland - Round Eight

I think we need some strategy from a military man. What say you, Major? @peregrinus_bis

1 Like

Haha! Now that - that old chaps is the Bloody Stuff! Better than a 20 year old Glenmorangie served on a frigid Glaswegian night, curried chips and all! Last time saw me trotting off with an entertainer, soon warmed up, eh? More of that later. Ha!

Now, ah, Iā€™ll need a little prompting, got a bit dozy there - advancing age, receding hair, better aim than ever, still donā€™t walk with a stick, actually bloody lean and tiger-like, if youā€™d all be so kind as to agree.

In the meantime - shoot! Letā€™s shoot, move, manoeuvre, duck, dive, parry, dodge, and above all - advance, shooting, couple of flashbangs, a lashing or two, knock over some walls, and Iā€™m sure the whole party will be confetti and bloody jellied pleasures!

1 Like

Iā€™d actually got to thinking it was envy, yā€™know.

Pinkyā€™s grandson.

1 Like

Toecutter, did you even remember the last part of our little conversation?

Hunting season is on, and youā€™re it.

If it was up to me, and it sure as hell isnā€™t, Iā€™d suggest that we create a feint, a diversion, a ruckus, if you will, to let those little bastards get in behind and up tight against Toecutter and let them slice off the olā€™ Achilles tendon, as small children are wont to do.

I might also suggest that a small, fast, well armored bugger circle off at some point and come in hard against olā€™ Maxie when heā€™s paying a little less attention to his flank, maybe at the same time some younginā€™s get their strikes in.

And maybe, just maybe, that Gorn might be caught flat footed when someoneā€™s flamethrower goes up in a bang.

So, possibly break out into three groups:
Distraction
Max
Gorn

With the fourth group being the Lamplighters, who are already in motion and set to do their own thing. Be nice if we could coordinate with them.

I recall having a box of Lucky Starks kicking around, and this seems like the right time to find a cereal bowl, and I believe my armor and speed are still in decent shape with my 50 cals.

2 Likes

@peregrinus_bis, Major, I seem to recall seeing an old sniper rifle in your trunk, is that thing still of any use?

Oiled and calibrated - wonā€™t make you fat - only .50 Cals in each delivery!

1 Like

~Clank: mood = infinity~

~The unWhole mechanic speaks on the secure channel of the TCB~

There is a thing that can be doneā€¦

A forcefield can be turned inside outā€¦

While I toiled in captivity, I re-learned secrets, secrets of confusion and misdirection.

I have enough scraps and spare parts to make one thing. A tool to sow chaos and discord among our enemies.

I can make an image inverter, a thing that will surround a driverā€™s ride with a bubble, and in that bubble, every other driver will see his own ride.

If Fleetwood looks at that bubble, he will see the ride inside to be an image of himself. Not just a reflection, but a 3D rendering that will look to him to be an identical twin.

Likewise, if Toecutter looks at that bubble, he will see Toecutter.

If Cougar ( @Donald_Petersen ) looks at the bubble, she will see Cougar.

This is an old trick with a new twist.

This forcefield will provide zero protection against physical harm, it is only an illusion, but it is a flexible and powerful illusion.

How much confusion could be sown in their ranks by each of the foes suddenly seeing an image of himself attacking his fellows? When he gets on the TCB to assure his allies that the identical (to his eyes) image of him is not the real thing, and they should not shoot back at him, they will all wonder what doppleganger he is talking about, and they will all be more concerned with announcing that there is is an evil twin of themselves, and to please donā€™t shoot.

I will need to be towed into battle. All of my own power must go to running this illusory bubble, and I donā€™t know how long that can last.

When the bubble drops, or before, whatever driver has towed me into battle need only cut the tow cable and drive out of it, in the midst of the enemy.

To conquer unWholeness, you only have to be disassembled.

4 Likes

I like the cut of your jib. Anyone in mind for the small, fast job? Iā€™m up for it. Thereā€™s nobody faster. Might be a short trip, though - but hey, canā€™t make an omelette without breaking eggsā€¦

Bear in mind that Max is watching us, though. Itā€™ll have to be a convincing diversion.

Might be if we could free that Gyrocopter captain, we could have ourselves some air support. Anybody feel lucky?

Hey, Bubba @bizmail_public, you wanna chip in? Any insight into Toecutterā€™s thoughts?

1 Like

Well, the reason I was asking about the Majorā€™s (@peregrinus_bis) sniper rifle is that if we know where that glint is, we can send a small distraction his way as well. We donā€™t have to hit him, only get him to duck down and spend a moment looking for a sniper so the real troublemaker can find their way to him.

I believe the term magicians used to use is ā€œmisdirectionā€ Look at the waving right hand for a moment so the left can stab you in the face.

The real trick is going to be coordinating all this business. Clank (@davide405), any idea how far that bubble of yours will range? Might be nice if we could get some other fireworks to go off as well, just to really make things exciting.

1 Like

The bubble itself is quite small, I will be generating it, and it can only extend to cover the car that is towing me.

But anyone who sees it, from no matter how far, will see themselves. Again, not as if in a mirror, but as if they had somehow been cloned, and they were observing that clone.

And here Mum told me the sun had set on your bloody Empire! Saints preserve us!

A ha. A ha ha ha. All the swagger and stiff-upper-lip in the world canā€™t mask the tin balls that replace the ones that got shot off in Goose Green, Falklands, back when your sight was keenest and your hair fullest, Major. A real crack shot couldnā€™t fell me before my trigger finger melts your precious Porta-Loo here into a molten puddle the color of Saint Andrewā€™s Cross, but youā€¦ ha! See me point my flamethrower away from the Gen V, clutch my fully-armed-and-operational-battle-station in my left hand, and proffer two fingers in your direction, one each for Queen and Country. She can have the middle one.

Oh, see how he purples and blusters! Whilst he hoists rifle to shoulder in apoplectic rage, itā€™s the work of a second or two to resume my slow burn of the precious outhouse. Learn your lesson well, Major. Perceive when you possess the high ground and upper handā€¦ and when you do not.

ā€œToe, whatā€™s this ā€˜good intentionsā€™ sheā€™s talkinā€™ about?ā€

ā€œLong story, boss, donā€™t worry about it now.ā€

ā€œYou got sumpinā€™ in mind you ainā€™t told me about?ā€

(Sigh.) ā€œItā€™s called misdirection, a ruse, a clever gambit.ā€

ā€œWe better be on the same page, here, Toe. I donā€™t like not knowing what you got in mind.ā€

On the kids run, between the rocks and through tight squeezes, some toward where the Gorn watches the Kid, and a couple closer to the gate itself.

Melā€™s eyes are keen. Saving throw: somebody post a small distraction in the next hour, or Mel will spot one of the kids.

2 Likes

Not yet, Iā€™m afraid.

I have just the thing. Been working on this for a while on the sly. Watch this, Mel.

4 Likes

Well, that certainly caught many an eye, including some behind the gate.

Iā€™d say the throw was good.

3 Likes

Need a tow Clank? That sounds like fun.

2 Likes

Got your victory dance? - Oh, I got it right hereā€¦ yeah!

1 Like

what hey -ho!

Okay ā€“ Iā€™m still fast, but Iā€™m pretty beat up. I at least need a tire to get moving again.

and a plan. The dehydration out here is getting to me. I have NO IDEA what the hell is going on. Which is an odd feeling for me.

I we canā€™t find a tire, could someone loan me a motor cycle?

my state:

HP 28/46 -> 16/46 HP, 1 burst tire
SP 57, MV 89, LK 59

You encounter 39 caltrops and mines. Your excellent MV and LK allows you to dodge most of these, but you get caught up in an oil slick and lose 1 tire to a caltrop you canā€™t avoid, and suffer minor damage from mines (8 mines explode in your vicinity, for a total of 12 HP of damage) leaving you with 16/46 HP.

Good to be back, even if Iā€™m completely confused.

4 Likes

What a true pleasure to listen to a madman mimicking a soulless madman mimicking a soldier with an invented name pulled out of hats and rabbits arses.

A rare foin treat. Sumtin ta shar wid de lads on de Falls Road. Along wiā€™ them two lovely fingers. Oiā€™ll 'ave 'em, and more.

Not much you know about me there, is there? Iā€™ve 'ad a little time to reflect, a tad of introspection, and a lot of it around the fine doctorā€™s work in China. Tings come back to a man dispossessed. Discoveries. Memories.

And what a lot of foin blood there is in all that. Sparkling, ruby, red, blood.

4 Likes

Like tears in rain.

2 Likes

Clank: mood = infinity + 1
http://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/2X/5/562b5877e949e6d5d38241dde21cd2d80de085e8.jpg
Iā€™ll take that tow, ready when you are.

The towing will surely cost you speed. When the confusion of the illusion stops making up for the speed drop, cut the tow cable!

Donā€™t hesitate to do it. Fleetwood ( @Donald_Petersen ) wonā€™t kill me; he still has plans for me. If one of his minions kills me against orders, Fleetwood will surely retaliate on the spot.

3 Likes