Baking bread from dormant, 4,500-year-old yeast extracted from Egyptian bread-making ceramics

1 Like

I think they mean a 4500 year old pot, not potter. (A 4500 year old potter would arguably be an even bigger discovery. :slight_smile:)

3 Likes

He was on the radio last night.

3 Likes

Einkorn is the oldest kind of wheat. Go buy some at your local health food store.

3 Likes

But who wants to smoke 4.5 k year old pot?

On second thought…
Okay.

2 Likes

If you want really authentic Egyptian bread, don’t forget to add a bit of grit in your flour :wink: Archaeology Eats: Egyptian Barley Bread: Dentist Preferred Method

(I had to google to see if this was true, having heard it a while back. Apparently yeah. Many ancient cultures, up to the medieval era had a problem with milling grit getting into their flour)

1 Like

Wheat is actually a group of species many of which are domesticated and cultivated. And the three major species we hybridized to produce most modern wheat varietals still exist, and are still cultivated. There are multiple varieties of duram wheat and spelt that are considered to be very old, minimally altered heirlooms or landraces. Then there’s einkorn and emmer wheats that were probably among the first domesticated cereal crops. With some very old varietals still being raised in the Levant. And kamut which is a similar sort of thing.

So we do know what type of wheat they were growing and there are equivalents and descended non-hybrid heirlooms from the area. After that it’d basically just be testing to check protein and starch levels in preserved grains so you could pick which one. But that might not be necessary, a lot of ancient near and middle eastern breads have just been made the same way all this time right in the same place. In some places in the same ovens, IIRC there are still Roman era public ovens in use around the Mediterranean and North Africa.

Sort of what kicked off that whole ancient grains health BS a bit back.

Wheat’s interesting stuff BTW.

1 Like

It is delicious.
I’d think making it in the food processor would be easier. No need to peek under a towel and no whisk from which to extract the butter.
That’s how I made it.

1 Like

Thanks. Interesting stuff. We already use rye and spelt here at home. I’ll be looking out for einkorn too.

Apparently all of this stuff is available at health food stores and whole foods. You might have to mill it yourself though.

1 Like

Apparently not, if I am prepared to pay the price and order online, here in the UK. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.