Baking bread from dormant, 4,500-year-old yeast extracted from Egyptian bread-making ceramics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/08/bread-nerds.html

6 Likes

I don’t like old moldy bread.

8 Likes

I want that yeast.

10 Likes

I’m curious if that strain of yeast is related to any of the popular stains used today?

1 Like

Previously:

(It is mildly surprising that celebrity yeast foodstuffs have not taken off in the interim.)

3 Likes

I wonder how much of the difference in the bread is due to the yeast and how much is due to using the other ingredients as used in ancient times.

7 Likes
3 Likes

It would be great if someone had a really old cow for period appropriate butter

8 Likes

If Gwenyth Paltrow starts selling celebrity yeast I’m gonna become a breatharian.

7 Likes

Bog butter?

8 Likes

Everything old is new again.

For real this time.

4 Likes

Maybe another reason for stocking lots of grog on those old sea voyages.

Drink yer selves blind, me 'ungry 'earties!

1 Like

Bit of a tangent, but it’s incredibly easy to make your own butter if you have a stand mixer. Here’s a recipe I’ve used. Takes about 10 minutes, mostly standing around.

1 Like

I don’t understand German, but is this the longest PSA in history? :slight_smile:

Definitely the reason that ship’s biscuit (hardtack) was the preferred baked good for expedition and military use.

As featured in Jack Aubrey’s excruciating joke.

5 Likes

“Having awakened the dormant yeast strains…” Isn’t this how every horror movie starts? What were they thinking!?!

8 Likes

I somehow doubt any modern strain of wheat is the same as the wheat they were making flour out of back then.

Now you’ve gone and done it!

Since probably nobody else will, I will… Here you go:

4 Likes

My thought exactly. This is definitely going to lead to a The Mummy movie…

1 Like

I would love to try that bread. Or try baking with the yeast.

I wonder what’d happen if you fed that yeast modern flour? Would it mutate into something that tastes basically the same as other sourdoughs or would it be different?

2 Likes