Baltimore explosion destroys several houses, kills woman

Gas can migrate from a pipe with a leak under the street over to the inside of a structure. Not saying that’s exactly what happened in this case, but it’s within the realm of possibilities. We’d have to wait for the investigation to be completed which typically takes about a year.

3 Likes

I guess this is, like, a thing? Play stupid games… accidentally kill the neighbors…

Edit: I deleted my previous post because I had second thoughts about the link I posted, and didn’t want to send traffic their way.

John Oliver is doing his best to get people motivated about it though.

6 Likes

Any time is a terrible time for this to occur, but my heart goes out to the folks living though who had, until now, survived our doom year relatively intact. The survivors are likely to be homeless at a time a lot of people are ending up on the street.

sounds like they were manufacturing drugs.
both meth and ecstasy make really powerful chemical smells but can’t remember what they’re supposed to smell like, specifically.
that would explain the gun and the fire later.
or they had a gas leak but crippling paranoia and persecution complex or something like that and therefore wouldn’t call it in?

2 Likes

It used to be a traphouse, but that hadn’t been the case for a few years before that incident. After it got raided it was sold to some lovely white supremacist gentlemen. I can only hope they all burned to death. That’s all a nazi is fit for.

4 Likes

My grandmother, who lives in the same house as my parents (but in a separate apartment) likes to threaten everyone that she’ll leave the gas oven open and cause explosion on purpose because family members don’t obey her. One time she even tried to do that, but gas leaked out of her apartment into the staircase and parents noticed the smell.

3 Likes

Sounds like she belongs in a mental ward.

5 Likes

I think that she’s just a person with extreme sense of entitlement. She demands absolute obedience of everyone in family. This includes demanding that her grandchildren start families, and only with partners she approves of. In my case that conflict was unsolvable, because I can’t start family (I’m asexual and agender), so there were constant threats, attacks and aggression, she was also calling the police, but police officers were actually nice and understanding.
After her threats of causing gas explosion I decided to close my CNC machining business and move out for good (I lived with parents in a separate apartament, but same house as grandma). Now I’m back in my 12 sq. m. apartment in Warsaw, got a job as medical systems programmer and I’m really happy with that decision.
I’ve also instructed my parents to call the police as soon as they smell a gas leak, which will probably, as you said, end with grandma visiting the mental ward :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sounds like a difficult relationship, but i’m definitely glad everyone is still ok and more importantly that you find yourself in a happy situation now

11 Likes

So, it looks like this dumpster fire of a year continues. August must be the month for explosions. Beirut, Baltimore, Russia (https://imgur.com/gallery/SqCL0KS) (Oh, and volcanoes…(https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-08-10/indonesia-sinabung-volcano-ejects-column-ash)) — whats next?

3 Likes

I am currently working in an new apartment complex being constructed. Each apartment has its own meter and gas line. When we started turning units on, we had a very bad gas leak for one of the units.

After some searching, we found that the sprinkler contractor had drilled through the hallway wall, and severely cut into the gas line. The sprinkler contractor did not make us aware of this, and allowed the drywall to be put up, covering the damaged gas line.

Luckily, the pipe was able to be repaired without any catastrophic damage occurring.

11 Likes

I hope the idjit sprinkler contractor had to pay for the repair.

5 Likes

They will indeed be billed for the repair (also a little extra, for my pain and suffering :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

The damage was not just incompetent, it was dangerously negligent as people could’ve died from asphyxiation or from an explosion. If the guy gives you a hard time it should be relatively easy for you to let him have it, i don’t know if there’s a way to put in a complaint or something to have their license revoked though certainly hope it doesn’t need to get to that point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.