Baltimore police officers carry toy guns to plant on people they shoot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/11/baltimore-police-officers-carr.html

7 Likes

19 Likes

12 Likes

Even the only-marginally-better-than-the-murderous-drug-dealers cops from The Wire didn’t make the Baltimore PD look that bad.

23 Likes

If public safety really mattered, there would be suprise inspections. And finding a throwdown weapon would mean permanent disqualification from ever carrying a weapon again.

37 Likes

How messed up that they don’t even bother to plant real guns. Next they’ll plant cell phones or wallets, either of which is also a “free murder card” these days.

16 Likes

I’m watching The Wire with my 16-year-old son. It’s depressingly current.

13 Likes

Yeah, we’re going to have to start treating cops like the intelligence services treat their own people. Lots of suspicion, tons of regular tests and testing of the testers, etc… Pretty much assuming that “Well duh, they have access to lots of valuable stuff (in intel communities it’s their information, with cops, it’s guns and drugs and selective enforcement), of course they’ll abuse it so let’s make sure everyone knows that they’re being watched and tested all the damn time”.

9 Likes

This isn’t news, is it? I could swear I heard this a few years back.

5 Likes

Hrm - yeah, I’ve heard of various places doing that. Remember the documentary Copland? Pretty fucked up.

7 Likes

No minor feat. Even as police departments go, BPD is notoriously corrupt and has been for decades.

10 Likes

Just a couple bad apples, folks. Nothing to see here.

6 Likes

It’s how a sociopath solves problems. You have to wonder what kind of weaksauce psyche test they have for police officers these days.

3 Likes

I very much enjoyed the part where it was suggested that this happens in Baltimore instead of being the standard around the nation.

11 Likes

Common practice in many cities. I understand that New Orleans PD raised it to a high art. Such ‘weapons’ even have a name: “drop piece”.

8 Likes

To quote Meathead from All In the Family, “No, officer, this incident will not change my opinion of the police one bit.”

7 Likes

But it worked out so well for Police Capt. Quinlan in a touch of evil, how do you think he had that amazing 30+ year career !

5 Likes

Do your have a pulse?

Is your IQ within 1/2 standard deviation of average?

Congratulations, you’re a cop.

/s

4 Likes

It’s not that they don’t bother, it is that toy guns have some advantages that aren’t present with real guns. They cost less, don’t come with pesky eat to track serial numbers, and have the built in excuse if caught with one that they confiscated it from a kid because it was missing the tip.

5 Likes

tenor

7 Likes