Banksy's pro-mask graffiti in London Tube washed away by cleaning crew

On the tube? I suspected he just bought a fare… Any good graffiti artist worth their salt knows how to get around authorities to get their art up. It’s really not that complicated, even with the ubiquity of cameras in London…

3 Likes

he did a HIGHLY visible, publicized “sabbatical” in New York City one summer, with a new piece of street art somewhere every day. by the third day, everyone was on the lookout for him. he’s quite good at doing what he does without being seen or caught.

4 Likes

If they let the piece stay, the message to the many, many people with less originality and artistic merit than banksy would be

a) it’s fine to vandalize the tube, go ahead.

or

b) you’re not allowed, but as long as you have an established market value, sure go ahead, no hypocrisy at all here, thanks for your understanding.

I can fully understand them not wanting to send any of these messages.

Who are “they”?

1 Like

'The statement from TfL [Transport for London] said it appreciated “the sentiment of encouraging people to wear face coverings”.

“We’d like to offer Banksy the chance to do a new version of his message for our customers in a suitable location,” it added.

The BBC has asked if the travel authority worked with Banksy on this artwork and, if not, whether his actions posed a security risk.’

Since the Tube (and buses) are plastered with exhortations to wear masks, it is compulsory, the only spaces that are compulsory at the moment (with about 70% take up from observation) I disagree that “they” are trying to cover up the message.

2 Likes

I think the ephemeral nature of the artwork was part of the artwork, so to speak. Most likely the medium used was one that would easily wash away. That makes the artwork even more of a treasure to those who saw it for just a brief moment.

I am amused when I consider the idea that Banksy himself helped to make sure it was fully erased. Who would recognise him if he were to work on the cleanup crews?

3 Likes

Guy wore a mask, right?

3 Likes

Gosh. You know… the illuminati maybe? Certainly not city officials or anyone like that?

The panels have anti-graffiti film on them which inhibits drying.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.