Banksy's latest street art comments on town's steel industry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/19/banksys-latest-street-art-co.html

5 Likes

Topical as ever:

11 Likes

I find it interesting over the idea of protecting street art when it’s usually a temporary medium

7 Likes

All things are temporary. We just tend to try making things we think of as especially cool stick around a little longer.

11 Likes

…and can we ever be sure this is not counterfeit art ?

1 Like

It’s posted on his official website.

6 Likes

And I’m pretty sure Banksy would never try to put one over on us.

9 Likes

Ooh, your attempted snark tickles!

In the end, it doesn’t really matter.

An artist who actively chooses to remain anonymous despite his work being infamous throughout the world is likely more concerned about making a impactful statement than ‘taking credit…’

6 Likes

Of course, i’m a fan of street art and love to see great pieces preserved as long as it makes sense to do so. But something about it always feels a bit silly, here in Austin i see some famous murals and graffiti being tagged over regularly and then seeing the property owners having to take the paint back off.

4 Likes

It’s a Banksy. If they didn’t protect it some asshole would sneak in the middle of the night and cut off the corner of that building to sell at Sothebys.

6 Likes

Understandable, and Banksy is deserving of his reputation. My comment is more about street art as a medium being protected, there’s something inherently odd about that but don’t take that as me saying that it shouldn’t be.

4 Likes

So, will the garage be sold and shredded now?

3 Likes

Neath! Finally Neath is famous for something other than…oh…well…shit.

3 Likes

Banksy probably rebuilt the wall out of water-soluble “brick” just in case, so that it could be dissolved upon sale by setting off the auction building’s sprinkler system.

3 Likes

The following sale of another piece will feature Banksy burning the building to the ground

2 Likes

He made a fair point. No need to be defensive.

Put snark in, get snark back out… with interest.

Many people here are way more interested in being “right” and patting themselves on the back for how very smart they are, than they are in having interesting/informative discussions. (Not that the person whom you’re speaking on behalf of is necessarily one of them.)

Such is life.

2 Likes

I pass through quite regularly when heading to mountain biking at Afan Forest Park and Port Talbot always feels to me like it’s barely hanging on by its fingertips. =/

2 Likes

2 Likes

Seems like it’s more of a comment on the state of Western politics: a bunch of right-wing populist dumpster fires poisoning the economic and environmental futures of young people.

2 Likes