Banksy's pro-mask graffiti in London Tube washed away by cleaning crew

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/16/banksys-pro-mask-graffiti-in.html

5 Likes

I think this is reasonable. The commercialization of Banksy’s work and his celebrity status shouldn’t suddenly mean he is exempt from all rules and by-laws. I’m certain we wouldn’t argue that any and all art, even good art or meaningful art, can be applied everywhere and left there. Who would get to be the arbiter?
Street art is sometimes temporary by its nature.

23 Likes

It was pretty ugly. And it was vandalism so erasing it was the expected outcome. Bansky should have to pay for the cleanup.

3 Likes

Hey, it’s not Banksy’s fault that he couldn’t find a shredder big enough for a subway train.

9 Likes

I used to do large work on paper when I was poor.
Same result.

1 Like

If by same result you mean erasure, massive media coverage, and offer to do work in more suitable spot, well done!

3 Likes

As I assume you have surmised, just the first part.

2 Likes

Better erase it before Christie’s try to auction the subway car.

2 Likes

The fact that they were willing to erase what would be considered a valuable piece of art (when previously, his work is often removed at great time and expense) shows just how much they are fighting against common sense support for public safety measures in the UK.

They are trying to cover up pro-public health message here. Normally, they preserve and then usually remove and sell his work.

Agreed, but Banksy’s work is normally not treated in that way anymore.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t they have just removed the car from service and auctioned it off (minimum bid == approx price of the replacement). Unless subway cars are way more expensive then I thought this would be a big money maker.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what would have happened in normal times (or more likely, they’d have removed the panels/window where the art was). They’re rather erase the message.

1 Like

Transport for London want to discourage unnecessary travel during the pandemic. The last thing they want is hundreds of people going on to the Underground just to see the Banksy train.

9 Likes

That’s a good point, but I suspect that people who need to travel as they are essential workers are still using the tube, yeah? Especially working class people who can’t afford a car in London? [ETA] But from what I hear, who but the most elite can afford shit in London now a days…

1 Like

Yes, and that is why they discourage non-essential travel on the Underground.

Work from home if you can.

If you are going out to eat, drink or shop, stay local where possible.

If you can, use existing or new walking and cycling routes. This will free up more space on public transport for others.

If you are travelling via a mainline station, consider walking or cycling to your destination instead of changing to the Tube or bus.

1 Like

Was it Banksy who, back in the day, did an entire mural by removing grime from the wall with detergent?

“Vandalism? I was just cleaning the wall for you, guv!”

I get that, but my larger point was that they could have removed the art work some other way, given it’s value, but given the politically charged nature of the thing, they removed it.

1 Like

Banksy didn’t announce that the graffiti was his until four days later, by which time it had already been removed. Even if TfL knew that it was a genuine Banksy, they might have determined that removing the affected panelling and doors was not feasible.

2 Likes

Sure, it’s possible they weren’t aware, but his work is pretty specific and recognizable…

That’s true, too.

B̶a̶n̶k̶s̶y̶’̶s̶ Guy claiming to be Banksy’s…

FTFY

1 Like

Just speculating, but this was well documented performance art. Likely with authorized access. How else would he get there without a terror alert? The logistics of installing and capturing the message at the end would be difficult to arrange if done surreptitiously.

2 Likes