Banned Ralph Steadman beer label headed to court

Their Road Dog Porter has this on the label:
For a while it was this:

Flying Dog’s been down this road before and I expect to see them win again.

12 Likes

when i sez “swivet” i means swivet [wink]

2 definitions found for swivet From WordNet (r) 3.0 (2006) :

swivet n 1: a panic or extreme discomposure; “it threw her into a swivet”

9 Likes

Wait… why isn’t that kid circumcised? Oh, right… can’t remind Renaissance people Jesus was Jewish.

Anyway… Is this the same artist-guy?

8 Likes

Cromulation fail confirmed.

Indubitably. Ralph Steadman’s inimitable style is uniquely his.

6 Likes

The switch plate in my bedroom. Guess I better not move to North Carolina.

16 Likes

A legend cashing in on his legendary status. Which makes me really happy, because I love his style and smile every time I see one of those labels.

4 Likes

I guess that’s one way of looking at it. Another is that he’s a professional illustrator who works on commission, as he has for his entire career.

11 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I have nothing but respect for the guy, and his art. I get a little lift every time I see it - probably as a result of his association with Hunter Thompson, but I’ll take every little lift I can get at this point.

9 Likes

Actually, NC has a ton of microbreweries and nano breweries. Asheville has 30+ last time I checked.

Wonder why all the labels with busty, scantily-clad women don’t get the same scrunity?

4 Likes

The t-shirt I’m wearing right now. It was designed by Young Master Peas for my Xmas present two years ago. I actually do feel a little weird wearing it out publicly, but that’s just the xtianist guilt I was raised with rearing its ugly head.

ETA: NC ABC is going to have an especially tough time with this as this has already presumably been approved at the federal level first. That might make their argument a little tough to substantiate in court. As @dpease points out, they’ve been notoriously arbitrary about labeling and this still passed muster.

7 Likes

Every so often some beer marketing magazine prints a letter informing us that the microbreweries need to grow up and stop being so sexist. in their marketing.

2 Likes

I presume they find all his work in bad taste… People have since he started out if I understand correctly.

I read a few chapters of The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe to my kids last night. I am confident the image of Mr Tumnus the faun sitting in his chair would have them at least as offended… Despite the author. So silly.

3 Likes

And it’s not just the design. I live in Maryland, so Flying Dog is one of the most popular sources of craft beer here. Raging B*tch actually is a pretty good fusion of IPA and Belgian style, but I just can’t bring myself to order a pint of it in public. The name is trying to be a joke, but it isn’t a very funny one (Note that BoingBoing itself doesn’t allow typing the name)

7 Likes

Agreed. It wasn’t necessarily a conscious decision, but I kind of lost interest in their beers when I saw it. Unless you work in a kennel, there’s no appropriate use for that word.

4 Likes

So what they say about big feet being a sign of other things is true…

2 Likes

Check out his caricatures of Trump (and… while I’m here… his “Vote! Dammit!” poster.)

4 Likes

Hmm… if they find it provocative or erotic, then perhaps a full psyche eval is in order.

3 Likes

unfortunately Flying Dog has closed their taproom (likely for good) because of COVID and to focus on distribution. Their beer with Old Bay in it is actually much better than that combination sounds.

3 Likes

Meanwhile in TX…
https://bestmaidpickles.com/product-category/sourpicklebeer/

Speaking of TX, I remember 30 years ago when the TABC tried to (or briefly did) ban Dixie’s Blackened Voodoo Lager because the label suggested the occult:

(It wasn’t that great but i still have the t-shirt somewhere)

At the same time, one could freely buy this in TX:

LA, in turn, threatened to ban Lone Star in their state…

3 Likes

WTF is happening to my dumb country? When I lived in Japan, full frontal nudity on billboards wasn’t unheard of. Nudes in the newspaper. Getting naked at the bath house. Etc. But here? Madness.

It was so much better back in the 70s and 80s when ad images like this barely elicited a comment.

1 Like