Barbecue your food on a thick slab of Himalayan salt

Awww yeah. Sea bass or bream baked in salt is one of my favourite meals.

1 Like

Absolutely. A friend has a large chunk of the same in their bedroom with an embedded light, for the ‘medicinal’ effects.

2 Likes

My wife got me one of these as a gift along with the requisite scraping tools and storage bag. I’m the kind that will follow the directions so I never had an explosion and it still hasn’t even cracked despite repeated uses. It also was a waste of money.
These blocks add very little seasoning, allow meat juices to drip in to your oven because I love a smoke filled house, and do a great job of adding 30 minutes to everything you cook with them. The first time you use it, you will lose that lovely pink and replace it with brown stained milky white. Even if you try to scrape the stain away, you will find they penetrate the salt very well which kind of ruins the end game for a salt block - turning it in to salt when it finally breaks. No one wants salt with brown burned food stains in it.
Final note, as a Texan I take umbrage with the word “barbecue” in the context of “grilling.”

2 Likes

Himalayan salt is a tasteless, dumb fad.

Kosher.

1 Like

Papas Arugadas - a Canarian delicacy and I agree, it’s amazing. papas arugadas - Google Search

The best thing to do for a steak is leave the bastard on the counter.
Buy it in the morning and leave it out all day… in the sun if possible.
Oh, and flip it over every now and then.

1 Like

I can’t find it on The Google right now, but growing up I learned to bake fish the “New England” way (keep in mind, this was in the Midwest, so who knows the real origin), which was to put down a layer of salt, then a whole fish, then another layer of salt (leaving the tail out) and baking it for about 20-25 minutes. Took most of the box, if you used Kosher salt. There was even a special pan: long and narrow.

2 Likes

Also Peru. And upstate NY, where potatoes were apparently cooked in salt bearing hot springs.

1 Like

Heck yeah. I was introduced to Salt Potatoes when I lived in upstate NY for awhile. Up there they’re so popular that they sell kits of kosher salt and fingerling/baby potatoes in bags.

• Boil a pot of water. Add tons of salt. You’ll know it’s supersaturated when it stops dissolving.
  • Dump in a lot of fingerling or preferably the little tiny round red potatoes. Boil until they float.
  • Strain and cool until salt crystals form. Serve hot with melted butter or cold with mustard sauce.
2 Likes

In Ontario, some of the small towns make something called “spuds”, which is basically supersalted proto-fries:

1. fry up fries as normal.
  2. place cardboard fry container inside plastic bag
  3. add fries to bag/box combo
  4. salt excessively
  5. add malt vinegar excessively
  6. shake to redistribute, then *seal bag to cause fries to steam and absorb salt-vinger brine mixture
  7. open and eat with fork

While not the same as a salted baked potato, I assure you that the same salted-to-the-line-of-too-much-and-therefore-awesome effect is to be had.

1 Like

Chuño?

I was thinking that too. Freeze dried black potatoes.

That really is the key. You need enough salt to make a spud float, which is an absurd amount of salt.

Actually I was thinking of this Columbian dish:

Apparently its popular in Peru because all things potatoes are, and I’d first seen it labeled as Peruvian. But its not actually from there.

1 Like

I’ve seen a difference when I forget to insert one, so I’ll do what works in my kitchen.

1 Like

Yup yup yup. Just two things: I used it in my old water softener for years. You barely get any nacl in the water, since the entire point is an ion exchange.

Second, hell yes you can use it for cooking. But I sincerely hope it is a lifetimes worth of salt :yum:

1 Like

Yes but you do get some NACL in there, which means it needs to be edible. My thinking was the low price and extra chunky texture would make it perfect for the salt grill in a skillet approach. Its also a nice cheap way to do things like the salt boiled spuds in volume. In those cases you’re using a lot of salt. But you aren’t consuming most of it. Don’t like effectively throwing out a whole box of kosher because I got it all covered with juices and fat.

1 Like

No disagreement. It is as safe as Morton’s or diamond. Or the salt I used to harvest from the Pacific ocean. (Did I ever mention that derail?)

2 Likes

I’m shocked that no one made a Heisenberg reference yet…

1 Like

I does come in a blue bag…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.