Baseball team to wear jerseys that look like Mister Rogers' sweater

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/31/baseball-team-to-wear-jerseys.html

4 Likes

Then there are the uniforms you’re issued for the entire season. Say, cheese. Say, cheese! Dammit… say, CHEESE!!

clip_image002_6zjhxlqx_g2yzhzwk

The GUYS GET SHIRTS

1 Like

As if he wasn’t already the most endearing human ever, the sweaters that he wore were actually knitted by his mother. Until fairly recently, the only shows I would allow my kids to watch unsupervised were Reading Rainbow and Mr Rogers Neighborhood. I would still watch with them half the time out of pure enjoyment. This is from an earlier season and, as with damn near every episode, it brought me to tears:

EDIT: Eh, sorry if the embed won’t play for you. It’s worth a click-through.

“Won’t you please, won’t you please? Please won’t you be my grounder?”

1 Like

Hey, that was a Bill Veeck experiment, and although baseball and shorts don’t naturally go together I still give Bill Veeck a lot of credit for at least trying something that hasn’t been done before… He would have totally gone for the Mister Rogers uniform.

Joking aside, I think it’s possible for the unfortunate wearers to have given Veeck credit for trying, while simultaneously wishing that he hadn’t.

And perhaps the lapels didn’t help the situation, either.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know how much those uniforms were loved or despised at the time. It was after all the 70’s and disco fever pretty much took over the popular aesthetic. I would guess that it wasn’t fun sliding into base.

1 Like

Googling would nail it, but my strong recollection from back then was that the players and fans invoked “laughing stock”.

PS: The CWS have had some excellent and noteworthy uniforms before and after 1976.

1 Like

Yeah, their current 1980’s-style home alternate uniform is still unlike anything else in MLB, but I do admit it’s grown on me over the years for it’s uniqueness. Full disclosure, I grew up in a White Sox household.

1 Like

Whatever the uniforms these days, I miss the stirrups.

1 Like

Dayn Perry’s occasionally pithy comments re current-ish baseball uniforms. A worthwhile, fun read. I don’t agree with his ranking of the current CWS uni; he ranks the Yankees’ uni much higher even though theirs are quite similar to the CWS’s. Perry doesn’t like ‘black’ apparently.

1 Like

So, did the guys get shirts or not?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.