Vintage Asteroids costume is surprisingly terrifying

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/15/vintage-asteroids-costume-is-s.html

4 Likes
4 Likes

Holy moley! They made a Warduke costume from the AD&D toy line?!!

HOW AM I JUST HEARING ABOUT THIS?

3 Likes

Sweat like crazy when you start because it’s still kind of warm out and you’re wearing a plastic bag. Freeze later because it has gotten colder and you’re damp with sweat.

10 Likes

These always cracked me up because they would feature images of the things you were dressed as. As if Superman would wear a shirt that had an illustration of himself on it.

5 Likes

Quit complaining, let’s try the next block before we go home.

8 Likes

Aw, Zagnut? Blechhh…

2 Likes

That way the person who opened the door could identify you even though the mask was really crappy and generic.

I remember that I ended up giving all my Mary Jane’s to my mom. “Yeah, you have fond memories of them because you grew up during the war, when there wasn’t any real candy.”

4 Likes

Egad. For my mom, it’s Cherry Mash, which I could probably tolerate without the nuts.

I did not experience the joys of the Cherry Mash until I moved away from the East Coast. What I had for ancient candy was mostly Necco Wafers. But now, I actually prefer Twin Bing, because it has even more peanuts than Cherry Mash. Then again, I’m the weirdo who likes Almond Joy, and loves Mounds, both of which seem to have become hip to dislike.

1 Like

You mean made to wear you winter coat so no one can see what you are?

Also - ah, the 70s.80s, where your costume just has a picture of what you want to be.

8 Likes

I was a Rubix Cube one year, but I didn’t know there was a drugstore costume for it. I decorated a cardboard box and wore that, along with a pair of those slinky-eyeball-glasses.

Mostly everyone thought I was “dice” even though this was the Cube’s heyday in the 80s.

5 Likes

Holy shit, is that real? It looks like a parody for gay bikers - or an extra for a Thrill Kill Kult video.

2 Likes

No, it’s fake. Side note: When I was eleven my mom took me to see the Dom DeLouise movie “Fatso”. They showed the trailer for “Cruising” before our movie stared. I remember feeling freaked out by it, especially sitting next to my mom!

1 Like

Looking at that lineup of costumes, it looks like the goal was to genuinely disturb treaters into over-treating wearers so they’d just go away… fast.

Oh, boy. And I used to complain about Star Wars merchandizing.

Asteroids? Be glad they never made a HemiRoids costume!

Most super-heroes don’t wear their own merch.