Bathroom with bed inside listed as "micro studio" apartment for rent in Vancouver

Originally published at: Bathroom with bed inside listed as "micro studio" apartment for rent in Vancouver | Boing Boing

4 Likes

oblig:

12 Likes

Vancouver: always striving to be at the cutting edge of crappy residential real estate practises for global cities.

10 Likes

Ummmm, that’s a prison cell, just so’s yous know. Put a bunk bed in one and bang, you have a come & go as you please prison cell.

19 Likes

I’m not sure it was removed because it violated any codes. It might have been removed because once I and a bunch of my friends and a bunch of their friends saw it we flagged the shit out of the posting, because it’s ridiculous.

6 Likes

The amount of BS that’s been going on in the Vancouver housing and rental market is nuts. I knew this was going to come down as soon as I saw it. The city has a bad enough reputation for stupid high rents and home purchase prices without something so blatantly illegal.

7 Likes

From the looks of the platform toilet to the odd projections in the ceiling, I think maybe this is the sub-sub-basement.

8 Likes

So where’s the kitchen?

3 Likes

8 Likes

I knew someone in Austin whose bathroom was in the kitchen, and vice-versa. I have no idea whether that was up to code, then or now.

This was in the early-90s, before things (rent, housing prices, urban growth etc.) really took off there, so it wasn’t a case of the landlord seeing what they could get away with in a tight market – the place was old and looked to have been that way for a long time. (I am guessing it’s since been torn down and replaced with something else.)

2 Likes
1 Like

But there isn’t any remainder of the unit so this is fine, right? Yay capitalism.

PS:
Capsule living can be okay if that’s your lifestyle. You could have a shower & toilet combo cubicle, with the air extraction through the toilet (I had that in a hotel room in Amsterdam). I am sure the Tiny Homes people could make something lovely out of this. But this place is horrible.

2 Likes

There are definitely some old apartments in NYC with that set-up - it was cheaper to keep all the plumbing in one place, I guess?

See also:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.