100 square-foot apartment is unpleasant

[Read the post]

2 Likes

For me, if it doesn’t have a toilet and shower, it’s not actually an apartment - it’s a (small) bedroom at best.

7 Likes

It has both a toilet and a shower!

4 Likes

…but not a loft bed because that would just be an eyesore.

3 Likes

So, just to be clear, this “apartment” is a bathroom.

13 Likes

This reminds of this series, which was posted on BoingBoing back in the days before the BBS but I cannot find it, so here it is, again! 10x10 apartments in Hong Kong.

http://photomichaelwolf.com/#100x100/1

4 Likes

It’s not one of those “my shower is the upstairs neighbor’s leaky toilet” situations is it?

6 Likes

Ah I see the Big Apple hasn’t changed since I was a lad!

1 Like

This guy is clearly delusional, he looks happy, if not proud to be in this tiny, shitty, apartment. He is not living, he is treading water.

5 Likes

I don’t know, gawking at this “uninhabitable” apartment seems kind of shitty.

I mean, yeah, it’s a genuine shame that this is what rents have come to in Manhattan. But given that they are what they are, here’s a twenty-something guy with a job and a life voluntarily choosing something he can afford in the place he wants to be rather than something convenient or spacious.

Check out that video @logolepsy posted. He makes it work with his lifestyle (doesn’t hang out there much, cooks food at the industrial kitchen where he’s a chef) and is clearly pretty psyched with his life choice. Who cares if you think it’s unpleasant? Is he pressuring you to hang out there?

Something tells me that if this were a 100-sq-ft “microdwelling” that you could order as a kit for $48,000 plus shipping to put in the backyard of your existing house, BB would be lavishing praise on the spartan, minimalist awesomeness of it.

22 Likes

He should get one of those dorm room loft-bed things. Like a bunk bed, but the lower bunk is a desk/workstation.

My cousin, who lives in a rent-controlled 2 bedroom in Chelsea that he inherited from his father, visited me last spring. He noted that my townhouse’s guest-bedroom walk-in closet was bigger than some Manhattan apartments.

FWIW, my mortgage+insurance+taxes+hoa is less than what this guy is paying for his cubby.

7 Likes

The Rent is too Damn High

7 Likes

Shelves and shoe holder over door - that’s what I did when I lived in an RV. You can make it work, but it’s not something I’d want to do for more than a couple of years…

3 Likes

I don’t get this. Is this a Clickhole article?

2 Likes

Nice cell

2 Likes

7 Likes

For $48K you’d own it outright, and be able to walk outside onto your own land and relax. Plus loan-collateral potential.

For $48K this guy gets 3 and a half years of rent and no outside. OTOH, he’s living in Manhattan, and go eat a genuine hot dog on the street, which the micro-home-owner cannot do. They’d be stuck with a “firepit” and mosquitos, probably. Or pine-needles. And those darn pesky bird-songs. AND NARY A TAXI CAB TO BE FOUND.

5 Likes

Kind of an apples-to-oranges thing. Comparing tiny apartments to tiny homes isn’t just a matter of what conditions a person prefers to live in but also what kinds of job opportunities are available to them.

3 Likes

I agree. Why right here is a boingboing micro-living story that does not suggest the people as insane or having made a poor life choice.

Also, 100 sq ft? Luxury. How about 78? (although to be fair, that tall ceiling makes a world of difference)

I think people who enjoy living in small apartments in Manhattan don’t consider the city stressful in the same way a rural-minded person does.

The typical lifestyle for someone who thrives in Manhattan’s smaller living spaces are those who don’t spend much time at home.

That said, I do think that if this was an architecturally-minimalistic space with no mention of $$, it would be lauded (and cross-posted in some “apartment therapy” blogs), even if the cost of actual implementation would be great.

1 Like