In New York City, "1 bath" means a bathtub in your apartment's entryway and a toilet in a closet

Originally published at: In New York City, "1 bath" means a bathtub in your apartment's entryway and a toilet in a closet | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“A taste of life in old New York – tenement life!”

23 Likes

OK I am actually seriously asking, can a New Yorker explain why anyone wants to pay that much to live there? Do you work in an industry where that is THE place to be? Is it the bodega cats? Because I can see the appeal of the bodega cats. But I live in the ATL 'burbs and I have a big house and a big yard (and there’s deer!) and my mortgage is less than that apartment. And I can drive like 20-30 minutes and be in Atlanta.

16 Likes

That’s why.

That’s also why.

21 Likes

It has a certain charm no?

Credit: George Steinmetz

12 Likes

Cozy with a real prison cell feeling, at a mere $2600 US a month. I smell a steal!

14 Likes

Needs a shower cabin instead of that mini tub.

10 Likes

“Charming Pre-War Architecture” also means one sparky outlet per room with precarious daisy-chained surge protectors, intermittently functioning plumbing, vermiculite-filled walls and tiny windows. Ok well, I would be uncharitable if I didn’t include Italian (early immigrant indentured-servant) brickwork and carvings.

17 Likes

:100:! You don’t need a car at all, there’s so much diversity, and the food can’t be beat. I’d set myself on fire if I had to live in another suburban planned community HOA hellhole.

*Haven’t lived in NYC, just gone there countless times on business trips. It is the EST that keeps me from wanting to live there, plus I like my garage workshop

13 Likes
  1. Average commute from Metro NYC suburbs by train is between 35-60 minutes and a bit pricey
  2. You can’t drive in unless you have a death wish or want to shill out major $$ for parking, plus with traffic its twice the time of a train commute
  3. The suburbs kinda suck if you’re single.
19 Likes

Not sure what your point is, place has a water closet as advertised.

13 Likes

There is a certain appeal to being in the middle of it all. It’s a place where you go to be part of something where as the Atlanta burbs are a place where you go to be separated from something.

Some of the best restaurants in the world are a short walk away - not that you can afford them, but they are there. World class museums, parks, broadway shows, every type of entertainment on the planet. It has a mostly functional public transportation system that will take you anywhere you want to go without the need and hassle of vehicle maintenance. And New York has plenty of wildlife too… if you want to call it that :wink:

I like the Atlanta burbs, but they are a more like a retreat where the city is a constant brawl. Opposite ends of the coin.

What I don’t get is those soulless places like, say, Gary, Indiana or Port Arthur, Texas. Or those million smallish towns across America where the best they have to offer is a 4-lane road with an oversized Wal-Mart parking lot, decaying fast-food joints, and dilapidated auto part stores.

15 Likes

The way “bathrooms” are usually calculated in property listings takes into consideration the number of fixtures there are in the bathroom. It’s considered “full” if it has 4 of these items, and “half” if it has only two. These are: Bath, Shower (or Showerhead), Toilet, and Sink.

When I bought my house, for example, it said it had “three full bathrooms”, but in actuality, had one full, one 3/4 (with a bonus sink), and one half next to one quarter.

I’m not surprised that the person making the listing thought that a half-bath plus a literal WC thought it perfectly reasonable to merge them into a 3/4 and then round up. And neglect to mention that you can make breakfast while taking a bath. And the added benefit of doing the dishes when you’re done…

10 Likes

Good luck maintaining those hardwood floors under the bath.

Just as a price comparison, I live in a similarly-sized apartment in Tijuana and pay about $250/month. And that’s on the high side.

17 Likes

I dunno. I live in an expensive, densely populated urban area (Toronto) and this apt looks okay to me. It’s smaller than mine, which is what I’d expect in NYC, but it’s got what you need and the city has everything else.

Manhattan is a place where you can live car-free, and world class great stuff is super close by. Being walkable/close to everything means, by definition, ‘densely packed,’ so you can’t separate the car-free concept from small dwellings. And at the same time it’s hard to explain to someone who hasn’t experienced it, just what’s so great about living in walkable places or why it’s sometimes worth giving up living space for.

If your city is super spread out so it’s a bit of an undertaking (20 minutes by car!!) of course you’d want a big place – you’re gonna stay home more because it’s a bit of a thing to get anywhere. OTOH, if you live in a place where amazing stuff is close by and easy to get to, who needs a huge pad? It’s a reasonable trade-off for some of us.

11 Likes

25-year New Yorker here. Three things to say:

1. [shrug]
  2. What the fuck is “South Village”? (Had to google that. Makes sense, I’ve never heard it used.)
  3. Nice casual racism by the Reddit OP: “I guess convenient for bathtub kimchi or something”
7 Likes

Bostonians were laughing at this article, one of the reasons they give is that “everyone in Boston secretly wants to live in NYC.”

Nope.

Rents are going up here too, but up until 2018 I was paying $1200 for a huge three room apartment I didn’t even share with roommates.

There are bonuses to living in NYC, but there are also a lot of negatives.

[ETA: oh yeah, good job jinxing your team, NY Post.]

9 Likes

Everyone is complaining about how horrible the place is, and I see a cozy apartment with windows that overlook trees, wood floors, and a small bathroom. Other than the odd bathtub and price, it seems like a pretty nice place.

When the headline said “toilet in a closet”, I honestly thought it was going to be in the bedroom closet (1:12), not in a separate room that is akin to historical bathroom proportions…

9 Likes

I think the problem is the odd placement of the half-tub.
There’s space to put a shower in the cupboard near the WC and put a sliding door near the entry, and instead of the bath and there’s space for a washing machine and a dishwasher.
I suppose that with a month or two of rent a little restructuring could be made.

In old buildings the bathroom could be weird. I have a load-bearing wall between the shower and the washbasin and the bathroom is L-shaped.

4 Likes

That tub looks barely big enough for a dog, much less a human.

6 Likes