In New York City, "1 bath" means a bathtub in your apartment's entryway and a toilet in a closet

I am shocked! Truly shocked!!

…that this isn’t listed as a 2 bedroom considering there are 2 rooms each with doors and a closet. The one with the toilet is clearly the master suite.

15 Likes

This right here is why I love cities. I even love small towns, because they are their own thing much like cities are, just very slow paced. Which i don’t mind.

But burbs are a completely different beast entirely. Bedroom communities for people with soulless jobs, barely even a strip mall in walking distance, more concerned with the trappings of material success than with any real sense of culture. Hard pass.

This. The last time I was in NYC I felt like eating at a Michelin star restaurant, so I just randomly strolled past one and ate there. Not to mention the ones I strolled past and didn’t eat at.

I had also met a guy who lived in the middle of Manhattan. I asked him what good food there was around. He rattled off the names of like half a dozen amazing restaurants that I have heard of, coming from nowhere near NYC. I asked which one he’d recommend. He had no idea, because he’d never been to any of them.

Easy access to the steel mills and strip clubs. And you don’t have to worry about retirement, because your chances of getting cancer increase by a couple orders of magnitude.

10 Likes

You had a closet?

14 Likes

Liked for the subtle Deadpool reference.

12 Likes

You’re lucky. In my day we lived in a rolled up newspaper at the bottom of a lake…

11 Likes

I’m wondering how one opens the door from the public hallway with the angle on the door frame versus the sink.

But yeah, other than the idiocy of the kitchen layout, it’s a pretty decent apartment for being right in the thick of things in Manhattan. Real views instead of an air shaft: that alone is worth the price.

Living in a rural area can seem a lot cheaper, but when you add in all that you have to spend (time and money) because there’s no municipality doing the heavy lifting for you, the cost is more similar than you’d think. My neighbors all own massive amounts of guns, not just for hunting but mostly “for protection”, with the excuse given that because there’s no police department, you might have to wait over an hour for the county sheriff to get to you. The fire department is all volunteer, as is the EMT crew (who show up in normal clothing and their own trucks). You have to pay to dig and pump your own well for water, and your own septic tank and field for sewage. And every time you want a gallon of milk, you have to get in a vehicle and drive at least 30 minutes each way to get to a grocery store, instead of simply going downstairs and walking to one of several stores within a block. There’s no sense of neighbors to say ‘hi’ to or borrow a cup of sugar from. (And if you’re going to get in your vehicle to visit them to borrow a cup of sugar, might as well just keep driving to the store.) Supplies and parts take a lot longer to arrive, so for example you might be waiting to fix your washing machine for a few months. (Real example!) And let’s not forget all the maintenance that isn’t being done by a building super, like mowing, shoveling, repairing stuff…or the fact that there are exponentially more work opportunities available at every salary level.

So yeah, for many people, it’s worth living in a cramped apartment to have the freedom of endless opportunities. For others, the sounds and crowding are too much. Look at the different reactions on this thread: those of us who think ‘not bad, actually’ versus those who can’t imagine why anyone would live in that apartment.

11 Likes

Flyover america just laughs at this type of “housing”…

There’s a trend around here, IDK if its just an Atlanta thing, where the smaller cities are developing very walkable downtown areas with non-chain restaurants, entertainment venues, non-chain stores, etc. and then trying to build housing close to that. We don’t have any Michelin star restaurants but I can afford most of them (ok I might not be able to order from the Thai place as much as I do but here we are).

5 Likes

Coastal America laughs at the type of job opportunities in flyover America

6 Likes

Honestly, as someone who has lived in NYC since the mid 90’s, this apartment isn’t really that bad- the bath in the kitchen is still a pretty common thing to see (I actually really like those mini tubs! Lots of my friends grew up in places where this was the norm), it has real windows and natural light (with nice views), an above average amount of floor space, there’s a division of space so you’re not sleeping with your feet in the kitty litter (and it’s in a very prime location-- I’m guessing this is below average for this neigborhood). People are paying way more for way less. Dense city living isn’t for everyone, but I’m away from the city for a few years for my job and I would trade my dumb big apartment in the suburbs (which I haaaaaaaate) for something like this in NYC in a heartbeat (with the caveat that I would never be able to afford this and prefer to keep myself in South Brooklyn). Real estate prices are PROBLEMATIC and I’ll be first in line when it’s time to eat the landlords, but this apartment isn’t an especially wild outlier.

12 Likes

I checked out the reddit thread and learned that old tenement buildings didn’t have hot water so the bath was near the stove to heat the water. I could live in something that small if I were single but not for that price or that neighborhood. I did check out streetview and it looks like a really nice place to live it’s just not my cup of tea.

My kid and husband live in a hip and trendy downtown area and love it. It’s nice when we visit to be walking distance from everything. Their apartment is small and expensive but they love it.

8 Likes

Being young, single, and making $300K+ where you can enjoy your money in the city outside of your appt has it’s appeal.

5 Likes

If you are lucky enough to have a mortgage it’s absolutely less than rent. That’s why people are really angry.

Shit’s fucked up.

11 Likes

The toilet-tank sink is a sight to behold! Necessity truly is the mother of invention.

8 Likes

I know the innards of at least one tenement building very, very well. My maternal grandparents lived in such a building, one which they owned; this was during a time when there was not a huge housing shortage, and such properties in that Williamsburg/Bed-Sty border area were relatively inexpensive. Three floors of living space. My grandparent’s bathtub was in the kitchen. Atop the tub was a large hinged flip-up wooden board that (ahem) hid the tub and also doubled as a work surface. The two top floors each had a bathroom in the hallway that allowed more than one family living on those floors shared access. Those two hallways each had three entryways into their apartments: one went straight to a bedroom; one accessed the kitchen; and one opened to a living room. My research showed that in the 1910s, the building housed a hat-making business on the first floor. The building and a big stretch of the street it was on no longer exist. If you want to see where it was located, watch The French Connection and keep an eye out for an early scene where the Santa Claus/drug dealer foot chase ends: a massive area of buildings demolished in the late 60’s to make way for what’s there now, a hospital complex.

11 Likes

Yea, that tub is curious as hell. It’s too small to take a normal bath, but it’s large enough to make terrible use of space! It would have been much better to just put a shower stall there (and perhaps washer/dryer combo).

That being said, when I was looking at houses to buy, I walked into the back door of one and saw a shower. “Oh, is this like a mud-room shower?” “No, this is the shower for the house. There’s one toilet upstairs.” “…okay…”.

4 Likes

Keep in mind in regards to the price that the buildings owners may not be able to lower it – if they’ve sold investment vehicles based on a standard $$$/sq ft rental value, they can’t change that rent at all or the entire ponzi scheme falls apart as investors start asking questions.

4 Likes

Same - I was expecting some horrific do-up by amateur plumbers and def not code, but that bath seems to have been where it is for decades, as does the tub. And freshly painted and the floors sanded and a fire escape to sit on or get attacked via. And actual closet space! And separate rooms, sort of. Not bad at all.

3 Likes

You’re aware that humans usually can bend at the waist, right?

3 Likes

And I could do the same and ask why anyone would want to live in the suburbs of Atlanta when they could live in central Cleveland. In Cleveland you can be to an impressive theater scene, museum scene, and food scene in minutes at a fraction of the cost of Atlanta. And if you want to talk house size per dollar, oh man does the rust belt shine. Oh and you could combine city living with deer. Deer spotted taking a stroll in downtown Cleveland Friday (pictures)

Or we could recognize that New York has been a global leader in culture, dining, and any number of industries for ages and that might have some appeal.

2 Likes