Tour of a teeny-tiny closet-size NYC apartment that costs $650/month

Originally published at: Tour of a teeny-tiny closet-size NYC apartment that costs $650/month | Boing Boing

4 Likes

80 by 150 feet is 12,000 square feet. I believe you’re of by an order of magnitude in each direction

16 Likes

I’m sure you meant to write 80" x 150" rather than 80’ x 150’, as 150’ is 50 yards, which is a lot bigger than a walk-in closet

11 Likes

I have seen the single quote used for feet, not yards. A quick scan of online references confirms this, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_marks_in_English

For instance, 5 feet and 6 inches is often written 5’ 6"

8 Likes

David St. Hubbins:
I do not, for one, think that the problem was that the band was down. I think that the problem may have been, that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf. Alright? That tended to understate the hugeness of the object.

14 Likes

You seem to be interpreting the statement “150’ is 50 yards” differently than I am. That seems to “correctly” us an apostrophe to indicate feet, not yards.

9 Likes

No-one puts as much thought and effort into creative greed as an NYC landlord.

9 Likes

Is there an NYC equivalent of Vice’s “London Rental Opportunity of the Week”?

6 Likes

Yeah, the measurement had me thinking…

Suspicious Suspect GIF by GIPHY News

My apartment in Tijuana is 27’ X 16.5’, and I have two small bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and a dinky bathroom.

13 Likes

Agreed, and that’s how andyf used it in the message above yours.

5 Likes

Yep, I meant 150’ as 150 feet, which is 50 yards.

4 Likes

1 yard, is a whole unit.
1 foot is marked by a single ’ as it is the first division of the yard.
1 inch is marked by two ‘’ as it is the second division of the yard.

1 hour is a whole unit.
Minute, is a minute division of an hour.
Second, is the second division of an hour.

6 Likes

I feel soo bad for that dog.

17 Likes

Why is this even a story? This just sounds like a typical NYC SRO (single room occupancy) hotel. 32 years ago, I lived at the George Washington Hotel at 23rd and Lexington, and that was the approximate size of all the rooms in that building. And you know what the rent was? Yup, $650. </old-guy rant>

As far as dimensions? Just points out the need for editors and proofreaders, and even then, stuff slips through. It’s an amusing gaffe, but the least interesting thing about a not especially interesting story.

Did she maybe mean the apartment was 150 square feet and the ‘bedroom’ was 80 square feet?

3 Likes

Came to say the same. Please tell me she isn’t keeping that dog in that place. That’s full on cruelty. No reputable adoption service would even let her adopt a dog with that being her living situation. If that’s her dog and he lives there with her, she should be charged.

10 Likes

At 0:10 Caleb asks “What’s the square footage?” and Alaina answers “80 by 150.”

So it’s easy to understand why Rusty wrote 80’ X 150’

But obviously Alaina meant inches. (Just look at her outstretched arms in the thumnbnail of the video!)

80 inches X 150 inches = 6.666 feet X 12.5 feet. Which makes it 83.3 square feet.

The blurb at the page on YouTube calls it 80 square feet.

15 Likes

This place looks cute for a time, but agreed that having a dog there is cruel. And the loft would be a bit claustrophobic.

Old guy rant, indeed! First off, you do realize that not all of us have had the opportunity to live in NYC, so might find this kind of thing interesting, right?
Second off, it obviously interested you enough that you not only read it, but then created a whole new account just to post about how lame it is?
It’s like that guy who comes to the book club discussion group just to complain about how stupid that topic for a book even is and why would anyone ever read it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

14 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

11 Likes

Touche! I used to make the same kind of mistake on math word problems too, but they were being tricky on purpose

4 Likes