100 square-foot apartment is unpleasant

I dunno, doesn’t look unpleasant, just small and cramped. He’s kept it clean and tidy, the floor and walls look spiffy, and I don’t see evidence of any vermin. I wouldn’t pay $1,100 a month to live there, but that’s largely because I have less than no interest in living in Manhattan.

I used to pay a bit over $650 a month for a room in an apartment in Hermosa Beach, CA. That room was probably the same size as this. A previous tenant had installed two rods around 78" up and used it as a walk-in closet. This would have been circa 1999. But then, there was also a kitchen, living room, and bathroom I shared with a roommate. She paid slightly more, since she had an actual bedroom and not a converted closet.

3 Likes

If nothing else, the commute would be awful.

3 Likes

What I see, mostly, is someone who’s managed the enviable feat of not accumulating a lot of stuff that he doesn’t really need. If you’re young and you’re used to not only traveling light but living light (say, if you have to fit all your worldly possessions in half of a dorm room), this is a lot more doable. As noted in the video, he has a huge kitchen at Lincoln Center to cook in and Central Park is his living room.

3 Likes

Well, there you go, then. It really is an (unpleasant) apartment.

Try sleeping next to an open window with birds blasting their “songs” just before sunrise! My recent stay at my parents’ cottage had me pining for the 6 AM rush hour waking me up at home.

1 Like

At least he has enough room for the things that matter: a sword, a V for Vendetta poster, a Trilby, and shitty salt and pepper grinders.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was carefully refraining from comment on that stuff. I had a Bee Gees poster on the wall of my bedroom.

In 1987.

4 Likes

I was expecting you to say Tennis Girl and Farrah Fawcett.

3 Likes

Yea after watching the vid I thought the title of the article was a bit crass, unpleasant for whom? He seems happy with it. It’s no smaller than where millions apon millions of people live.

But he’s not living in a McMansion, so let’s shame his home.

2 Likes

Don’t worry, if he’d be living in a McMansion he’d still get his home shamed. Just for different reasons.

Outrage must flooooow!

2 Likes

If it had a loft bed and better storage solutions, I wouldn’t mind staying in a place like this for a work assignment, while attending a conference, or even on a sightseeing vacation.

1 Like

I didn’t have Farrah, but classmates of mine did. See, the Bee Gees were profoundly uncool in 1987. Farrah was timeless.

1 Like

I hoped he doesn’t want around his living room at 3am in his underwear…

2 Likes

Save for that decorative sword by the sink…

You know who gets stabbed with swords? People with swords in their homes!

1 Like

And ronin. But that’s about it.

1 Like

I think he is offsetting that risk by not having kitchen knives laying around in a convenient easy-access holder.

1 Like

…aren’t they a subset of “people with swords in their homes”?

5 Likes

You got me.

2 Likes

While that is too small, I don’t think I need too much more. Shrinking down to a fairly minimal accomodation wouldn’t be so bad.

The workshop and stock of materials wouldn’t fit.

1 Like