100 square-foot apartment is unpleasant

What I don’t get (and what makes the space seem so “horrible”) is that there does not seem to be any window in the apartment, and last I checked that was illegal. Rooms have been required to have windows for quite some time, certainly since before the brownstone he lives in was converted into apartments…

1 Like

Who’s shaming him? There might be some ire thrown the landlord’s way but I don’t see anyone shaming the tenant for anything but bad taste.

1 Like

No he didn’t. Ronin are homeless.

3 Likes

I think you answered your own question.

Dude makes a slightly non-standard life choice that doesn’t hurt anyone, including him, and gets crap from the internet for his “bad taste.” His bad taste that is centrally located where he works and plays and has other redeeming qualities for him, the only person for whom any of this should matter.

1 Like

But why that? Who is the arbiter of what counts as “good taste”, who if anybody should get that right and what are the criteria for good and bad when it comes to something as subjective as “taste”?

spot the difference!

The differences are arbitrary. The assignment of judgments tends to be rather capricious lately.

For the record, a closet is also a requirement.

I dunno, one difference is that this guy can apparently afford his microdwelling. Another is that his microdwelling exists in the city where he lives and works.

If he could afford the microdwelling that would meet your minimum standards for elegant living, he’d probably be living in a bigger Manhattan apartment.

EDIT: as though suddenly desperate to prove the point, BB has just now posted a rave about the “fantastic” “otherworldly” thing known as the “Skysphere,” some guy’s $50,000 backyard “hangout pad.” (Price doesn’t include 3,000 hours of his own labor, or what you might spend at a year and half of your day job.)

It doesn’t have a bathroom, but it’s expensive enough to have dimmable, colored LED mood lighting and “computer generated voice dialogue,” so it passes the test!

1 Like

Ah! You got me!

Maybe the sword is leaning up against the tree stump they call home for the evening…?

Oh, fine. You win.

“Bad taste” referred to his poster and his hat, as commented on by @funruly, not the tiny apartment. No, it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, but when you post pictures of your stuff on the internet you’re inviting public critique.

Too many requirements, and things become unaffordable.

Case in point, albeit not in real estate, but the principle stays. Those little electronics modules from China, namely the CP2102 USB ones. The FT232 ones retail here for 10 times of for what the CP2102 can be bought from China.

I’d be willing to pay twice or perhaps thrice (at most) the cost for the ability to come to a parts shop within easy commuting distance and buy. A classmate is a clerk in one; I asked, and was told that with all the regulations and the enforced two-year warranty it would be more expensive.

So I buy in bulk from China.

Good intentions don’t always have good outcomes, especially in the realm of regulations.

Does it count if the apartment in question is a closet? Complete with rods?

1 Like

Can you sleep and shit and shower in it?

You could, but not if you want your deposit back.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s true, though. And in any event, that’s not what he did.

Inviting public critique would be posting pictures to Instagram and Dwell magazine message boards and saying, “Hey, guys, what do you think of my apartment?”

This guy’s just answering a reporter’s questions about the apartment he doesn’t yet know he’s supposed to be ashamed of. Yeah, it may be inevitable that the internet gives him shit, and sits in judgment of all his life choices and decorating skills, but that doesn’t mean he somehow asked for it or deserves it just because he dared to be publicly visible for a moment.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.