Bay leaves are a lie

I wonder if I could grow one here… I will have to look up what zone it is or if it could grow in a pot!

Now I’m going to have to pay extra attention to my urine when I next eat some asparagus…

I hope you get some of those leaves for your trouble!

It’d probably have to be indoors like a ficus, where you live. Down here, I could probably have one in the yard. The ones I saw/used were outdoors, in Portland, OR.

That sent me down the Google rabbit hole…thanks!

1 Like

You wouldn’t have to use as much if they were dry-but-fresh!!

Actually, I love spicy food, but my youngest is only now (as a teen) able to tolerate more than the barest amount of spice. So you know how it goes: food has to be prepared for the blandest palate and spiced up individually at the table.

3 Likes

You would know already. Trust me, there would be no doubt in your mind.

5 Likes

Every time I eat the stuff, I end up playing the “What the HELL is that smell? Oh, asparagus!” game.

4 Likes

On a similar note, I’ve found a correlation between ingesting a large amount of fenugreek and having powerfully pungent B.O. a day later. (I think it was palak methi. Go on, give it a try!)

2 Likes

Usually the next morning. “Holy cripes! Did a skunk die in here?? Oh, right, that’s me.”

4 Likes

Similar to the “Oh hell, do I need to call 911? Or right, beets” game.

10 Likes

Because the cook didn’t stir at the end and remove them like you are supposed to.

“Is somebody burning tires?”

1 Like

She’s pretty.

Are you or have you ever been a cuminist?

Love the stuff. Key ingredient to both homemade chili and curry.

2 Likes

Another good scare is when someone cleans the toilet using bleach (I guess?), leaves it like that, and then the water turns blood red when you pee in it.

1 Like

I once found a bush full of about 200 snails. It was the best. The key to a good snail hunt is that when you find one, instead of taking it right away you need to follow it back to it’s family and get the whole bunch in one go.

Cilantro much?

1 Like

Yes, very much indeed. A big handful, sometimes!

4 Likes

in all likely hood any foragable bay you find is going to California bay, and I can’t vouch for whether it works in the preparations I described. As for mussels the better tasting ones are off the beach. Below the low tide point where they never end up out of the water, though that requires a willingness to wade in fairly deep at a time of year where that may be uncomfortable. You can make cleaning them easier by using a pressure washer, its how the commercial guys do it before they hit their distributor.

2 Likes