Bay leaves are a lie

Ooh, I was wondering about lunch. Tacos it is. Thanks!

5 Likes

Somebodies got either some time on their hands, an abiding interest in recreational chemical supplements, or both. I’mmmmm, going with both.

1 Like

This proves it. Rob Beschizza is a FBI agent under deep cover with organizational ties to the KGB. Bay leaf is actually code for activating plan B after editing out dangerous thought crime.

A little ketamine to warp your sense of time, a little speed for focus, and snail tracking could be as intense as twitch gaming.

2 Likes

Oh no, @beschizza on one side Kenji on the other!

The reason boiling bay leaves in water won’t work much is that the flavours and chemicals are fat soluble.

“The active ingredient in bay leaves is eugenol, according to The Royal Society of Chemistry. Eugenol has a short hydrocarbon chain. The short length of the hydrocarbon chain affects bay leaves’ potency in water. Though it’s slightly soluble in water, it’s more potent in fats and oils. Because of the length of the tail of eugenol, it has a much stronger aroma than vanillin. This is why it only takes one bay leaf to add enough flavor to an entire pot of soup.”

1 Like

I don’t understand the article. I get that it’s supposed to be comedy, but I don’t grok how it’s supposed to make me laugh - and laugh I don’t.
Nothing witty or clever about it. And it misses being outrageous by several orders.

So what is it about really? I don’t get it.

1 Like

Interesting question. I didn’t think the article was primarily intended as humor. I’d say it’s mainly informative, about bay leaves. The author had a question, went out and got information, and sought a unique way to present the info to the public.

I thought the humor was just a way to draw the reader in by giving it a “different” twist. And to make old information seem more hip to a modern audience, via an irreverent tone. And perhaps to add words and stretch what might otherwise have been a shorter article, to fill more space. Not to mention that presenting some mild controversy is a proven way to get more clicks, and a great way to get the public to contribute additional info in the comments section, thus upping the value of the article.

I’m no expert on writing, and the humor in the article isn’t really my kind of humor, but it’s interesting to think how the style/tone of any piece of writing can’t really be divorced from the substance, that together they make a unique package. Sort of like with clothes—everyone needs something to cover their body and keep warm, but it’s impossible (as far as I know) to do so without it also having a style or fashion that you present to the world, like it or not.

if by “present info” you mean “reject actual facts repeatedly to ignorantly present their own opinion” for unknown reasons – most likely to gain angry clicks – then yes

1 Like

Ha ha, yeah, that too. I’m thinking the author is like their own side-kick, the person in a stage/comedy duo who feigns ignorance to keep the action going.

1 Like

Rhododendron. (andromedotoxins, now commonly referred to as grayanotoxin)

bay leaves

It is pronounced bie-le-feld.
Bielefeld.

3 Likes

I thought that Super Tasters were something They Might Be Giants made up for their kid’s song album NO!

2 Likes

Lots of non-bayleavers here tonight.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.