BB coverage of Rob Ford

you called their method childish and their website a cheap tabloid. Maybe you think that’s a compliment?

Well, that’s like, your opinion, man.

nanite said that, but it quoted ghostlys comment. Sorry!

Is it polite to tell someone to take a break and come back tomorrow? Or tell them reflect on what they have said here? Go wag your finger at someone who deserves it, like mayor laughable bumblefuck.

It’s not that I find it not very satisfactory, it’s that I find it to be a false analogy.

Mayor ford is an elected official with power.

Cory is some guy, with a website.

Compare, contrast, and get over yourself.

Hey,

I appreciate your reply. Likewise, I am not intending to offend anyone here either. My comment about having cr*p shoved in our face was overdoing it somewhat, so I apologise too if it offended people.

I guess I really just wanted to say that I found some of Cory’s comments distasteful, and I wanted to avoid it if possible without losing access to the whole site’s content. A site which I otherwise really enjoy (bananas and all).

As to whether or not my objections to Cory’s comments were valid - can we please agree to disagree on this? I always felt that one of Boing Boing’s strengths was that it encouraged people to ask questions and object to things they found were unfair. I hoped that would extend to it’s comments system too. Shouldn’t we be free to ask questions and make suggestions to the site owners?

We obviously have very different opinions on this, and I don’t want to cause any more upset in this thread.

If we were in the same room, I would ask if we can shake hands and move on.

Cheers.

OK, so then an apt analogy would be to BB’s coverage of Fox News and the Daily Mail, which are two other media outlets whose ice cream BB could chose not to consume?

Also, note that Ford is mayor of a jurisdiction in which Cory is not a resident and cannot vote. Since he didn’t vote in Ford’s elections and Ford’s powers do not directly affect him in a way that democracy is willing to recognize, should he get over himself?

I dont think thats an apt analogy for what you were trying to say before.

anyone could make any other choice. So, why ought anyone choose to do anything, for you, to your satisfaction?

Are you a paying subscriber? Are you a stakeholder? A shareholder?

What’s your point, what are you arguing FOR? What is it you want? I’m amused by your antics, as I am by anyone who will go to such lengths to defend their sense of entitlement.

I don’t meant to mock you, I do mean to hint that your expectations of other people are probably totally out of line with how people actually do work

See, if you and I were I the same room I would have left when you were calling other peoples methods “childish” and BB a “tabloid”… and got back to enjoying the free ice cream while you denigrated something you apparently value, because I cant stant hypocricy and people who talk out both sides of their mouth.

I’m glad you recognize that you were making incendiary comments. Do you recognize that you were doing what you were complaining about? It’s pretty typical when people get their egos involved

That ship sailed years ago.

What was I trying to say before? The only thing I was pointing out that BB is the only place that calls Ford “laughable bumblefuck,” and then you leapt in with an ice cream analogy. And you’re right that an ice cream analogy is very inapt for what I was saying at the time, because I was responding to a specific claim that lots of other sites also refer to him as such.

But what you apparently meant with your inapposite ice cream analogy was not only that I should not correct false statements on this forum, but that I should neither read nor respond to BB posts where I disagree with their editorial position.

If this is indeed the point of your analogy, then the comparison to BB’s coverage of Fox New and the Daily Mail seems appropriate: just as I should apparently choose not to read BB posts I disagree with and not ask for “something better suited to [my] palate,” BB could choose not to read Daily Mail articles they disagree with and refrain from asking for coverage that would better suit their palate. If your point is that it’s stupid to ask them to do so because that’s not how people actually work, then I agree; it’s equally stupid to ask me to do so.

I’m not saying anyone should choose to do anything; I’m merely offering a different perspective. And remember, it was you who implied that I should choose not to criticize this free ice cream.

Is Cory a paying subscriber to Fox news or the Daily Mail? A stakeholder? A shareholder?

I’m arguing that criticizing BB isn’t inappropriate or hypocritical per se. I want people to recognize that they may be hypocritical when they appreciate BB’s criticism of other media sites but decry criticism of BB.

You seem to think that because I enjoy 99% of the site, I am not entitled to express a contrary opinion about the 1% I don’t like.

I still think Cory’s remarks are a bit childish (that’s an opinion, not an insult), and I do still think it makes Boing Boing’s coverage feel like a tabloid (also an opinion). I’m sorry if that offends you.

I don’t know you personally, but I’ve looked at your posts over the last 48 hrs - around 50 so far, and counting. You clearly feel passionate about Boing Boing since you spend so much of your time here.

I can see by your remarks on this thread that you are very offended by my comments, and it seems that nothing short of a full and unreserved apology for expressing my opinion will change that. But I am not going to do that, because I stand by my opinions.

As you have rightly pointed out, this is not my blog, and so I don’t get to decide what is right and what is wrong here. But it’s not your blog either. It’s Cory’s. And while I’m sure Cory is gratified to know that there are followers who will jump to his defence if they feel his honour has been hurt, I’ve been following this blog for long enough to know that he is big enough and old enough to defend himself.

If Cory feels personally offended by my remarks, then he has the right to respond, or even to ban my account if he feels it is necessary. Likewise, you have the right to flag my posts for moderation if you feel they contravene Boing Boing’s terms.

That gif is incredible but makes me uncomfortable.

I really must protest of the use of “laughable bumblefuck” to address the mayor, According to theclerk’s office, he is to be addressed as

His Worship Mayor Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto

(it was rather a severe breach of protocol when Han Solo treated Her Highness Princess Leia, with only the respect due to a mayoress.)

Thank you for your generosity, m’lord

I’m not decrying criticism of BoingBoing. I’m asking if you see what you did there. If you’re aware that you’re insulting the hosts. It’s not about bb. It’s about classy. Keep being it.

So it’s OK to criticize BB, but not to insult the hosts. But it seems like every criticism can be construed as an insult, so I’m not sure if it’s actually OK to criticize BB here. (And similarly it would be wrong to criticize a Daily Mail article in their comment section.)

You also claim that you’re asking if I see what I did there. But where is “there”? I’ve made a lot of comments since you first jumped in, largely because you keep changing what you claim your argument is. First it was a claim that lots of other websites call Ford “laughable bumblefuck.” Then it was a claim that since the ice cream is free that I have no right to complain. And now it’s that even if it’s valid to complain about free ice cream served up by a media site, you shouldn’t insult your hosts when you do so (although I don’t know if I would call someone who tries to monetize my visits and generally solicits participation in their social media presence a host). But since you seem to be claiming some sort of temporal consistency in your argument, let me ask how exactly I insulted the hosts when I pointed out that BB is the only place that calls Ford “laughable bumblefuck”? Because that’s when you jumped into the fray.

1 Like

Almost like they’re trolling

If you’re the sort of guy who goes to a party and sticks around ONLY to talk about how superior his own musical taste, taste in friends, word choice, and personal opinions are to those of the host, then i guess you go to parties for different reasons than I do.

If you’re not that guy, then stop insulting your hosts.

No, that’s you thinking that. I’m not even capable of that thought you told me I have.

OK, thanks for letting me know.